Thread: Control help

Control help

I have a 93 black max 175 0g001185, and the shift lever is wobbly. I understand that this is due to the set screw not being there at all. Somehow even though the set screw isn't there, aside from the wobble, everything has worked fine the 3 years I've had this boat and put a lot of time on it.

I hate the wobble so I ordered the set screw, however when I attempted to put it in, it looks like one of the previous owners stripped it out bad so it will not stay in. I haven't been able to find a used version of this control to buy, so I'm wondering if I can buy the part where the set screw threads are located. I don't see it in the Mercury parts catalogues. I'm also wondering if I can just drill and tap a larger set screw in there. Thoughts on that?

my boat is under tarps and snow for a couple more months but I found a pic of the same control as mine in a thread from my search attempts.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    contact merc dealer use non active parts list there are many avialible in usa use p/n 95070a1 ,what state you in??????get rid of wobble
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    I'm in NY state. So if I call a merc dealer and talk to them about that part number they should be able to hook me up?

4. Member
    if they know how to use nla feature on merc web site, see YA JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Part is on its way. Thanks Joe!

6. Member
    yes sir,anytime

7. Member
    Unfortunate update. I got the part, but it's not the right one. It's very vertical and doesn't have hole for trim switch like the current one. Back to the drawing board. The set screw for that part fit the threads of my lever but I screwed all the way in and wobble is still there.

thinking about getting a completely different control box instead, so I have some questions. I'm surprised these things are $200 or more for most of them.

My question is can I use a newer or different control than the one I have? Are Mercury controls pretty universal? Anybody got any controls they want to get rid of?

thanks.
    Last edited by Sbassin22; 02-07-2018 at 05:11 PM.