Basscat/Suzuki wild weekend

I started a thread several weeks back about running my new BassCat and experimenting with jackplate/ trim etc. I was going to repost that thread but decided to start over since I wasn't able to go that weekend. My other 2 trips out with my new boat found me only reaching 68 mph. And I was chime walking after 65. I've seen from reading other threads that many of you ask questions about multiple details such as rpm, engine height, fuel/ body weight etc. I'm glad to say that this time I reached 72.9 with same partner as last time and one 26 gallon tank of fuel ( other tank was nearly empty). I weigh 280 partner weighs 250. Also livewells were empty. It felt good to see boat get over 70 with my own eyes even though I had little doubt that it could. Even at 72.9 I had zero chine walking. I was at lake cumberland and had plenty of straightaway to experiment with trim/Jackplate and time to see what works. But I still have uncertainties because I wonder if added speed was due to colder air and if lack of chine walk was from having one empty tank. Regardless, the Cat ran well in the choppy water and it was good to get some gas ran through it during this cold midwest winter. I was very excited to experience the round trip distance we ran with just one tank. As far as fishing off the new boat, it will have to wait till another day. Though it ran normally after starting, the Suzuki really let me down. I posted a new thread in the Suzuki forum if anyone interested in that issue. But despite the motor frustration I felt like I learned a lot about how to run this Cat in various water conditions.

2. Member
    Congrats on getting some seat time in the new cat.
    I'm not sure what issues you were having with the engine, but I hope they get fixed.
    I can tell you that if the boat isn't chinning, you probably are not getting its full performance. At least that's my experience with 20 foot Bass Cats with a 250.
    I have found that keeping the Left tank with more fuel than the right helps balance the boat when I'm running alone.
    You need to get your seat time, and performance checks while alone in the boat.
    Next time you run, when you reach the 71-72 mph, bump the trim up in small increments. Monitor your water pressure and steering torque while bumping the trim.
    My belief is you will gain some speed. along with the chine becoming noticeable. This is where seat time and learning to drive the chine comes in.
    Keep us updated.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Actually, they drain the left first in all factory rides.

4. Banned
    So many variables that effect ride handling speed tirning .....
    Weight and weight distribution are a big factor from boat to boat of same set up.
    Then props are so different in how they grab and push water.
    You can have a huge difference in the drive of the boat with two identical props out of the box, thats why a good prop machine shop is utilized by those with high end running boats.
    Seems like your curiosities and interest in maxing out speed will tale you on a educational voyage.
    Enjoy the journey

5. Member
    Thanks BCB and CajunHunter67. I have a nice Suzuki screen on the lower left of my helm that gives all kinds of information. The way it is set up right now it shows engine temperature (which ranged from 120 to 160s) and voltage. How do you monitor water pressure and steering torque? I will say the steering torque at 70+ was tight by my definition. When I was going that fast and approaching a huge river bend I still knew I was going to have to give some pressure to get boat to gradually curve that direction. But I could take my hand off the wheel and it would stay put as I assume all hydraulic steering is supposed to do. But there was definitely pressure needed to turn the wheel. Cajunhunter 67 you can read about my Suzuki issue in detail on the Suzuki forum or PM me. Even though it's a BassCat boat I figured it wasn't appropriate to go into great detail about an outboard engine in the BassCat forum. I'll hopefully be in contact with a Suzuki person today. And I've already gotten some suggestions on that thread I started over there. This really seems to be a helpful group of people on BBC. I hope I will be able to give back to others at some point.

6. Member
    I read and commented in your post on the Suzuki site.
    Not familiar with the brand, but I left you a few quick checks to do.
    Usually there is a water pressure gauge on the dash. I would think Suzuki would have a gauge, or digital read out for it, as its very important.

From my personal experience, an engine set to high on the jack plate will bring steering torque (Left) earlier and the boat will also chine less. Trying to gain speed by trimming up more will create more steering torque. Also will drop water pressure very quick when trimming up.

An engine set to low will have very little steering torque, but the rear will feel loose when trimmed up and limit top end speed.

Find the happy spot. Slight engine torque when trimmed up, Usually some chine, Good water pressure, and slightly bumping the trim down removes the steering torque.

I'm sure others will chime in.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

7. Member
    Thanks. I replied to your comments on Suzuki thread. Is chine walking considered an good and ok thing to have towards top end speed? I feel much more safe and comfortable when it's NOT chine walking. I was happy to reach those speeds and still be going totally straight. I experienced exactly what you said regarding left torque. I noticed when I approached an upcoming right bend in the river channel that I had to lean on it to get a little right turn. Like you said maybe a little trim down would have made that much easier. But I'm sure I would lose speed too. I've heard that Suzuki's will flat out shut down if anything is going wrong with them such as low water pressure etc. I still need to do some playing with that Suzuki screen I have. It appears to have many selections available. I may try to post a pic of it and what information it shows.

Some chine walking is completely normal when trying to get those last few mph out of the boat/engine. There are a ton of articles about chine walking and what's going on to cause it, and how to learn to drive the boat when it starts. Bottom line: you're not getting the top speeds unless there is at least a bit of chine walk. A BassCat is a high performance hull...if this is your first, it will take getting used to and learning how to drive the hull. If I'm not mistaken...and I very well could be with a Suzuki...they use the Lowrance 400 multifunction gauge, which has all kinds of information available on it from the ECM. If the ECM reads water pressure, it should show. If not, it probably has to have a sending unit. A WP gauge is an absolute necessity on a boat, IMO.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

9. Member
    Thanks midnightrider. I just started another thread on this forum about a lowrance puck on the back that I'm not sure what it's used for. I wonder if it has something to do with Suzuki?