Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best prop for holeshot

What prop do you think works best on Gamblers for hole shot? I have a Outlaw with a 200 pro max and I am running a 25 trophy and the holeshot has a lot to be desired. I like the trophy mid and top end but hole shot is bad. Please let me know your thoughts.

id say adjust your PVS plugs some more and keep the trophy...
    a bravo xs with dual PVS will be excellent whole shot and solid mid range, but you will lose 2 mph on top end...
    a 3 blade fury is also a good choice...and once dialed in, the top end will be similiar to the trophy
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

3. Member
    Thanks, I tried adjusting the pvs plugs. I have 2 large and 2 with no plugs. If I remove all plugs it blows out.

4. Member
    I have a 2000 Outlaw with a 200 Pro XS 3.0, the best holeshot I had was with a 26 Pro Max, next was a 26 trophy. Best top end prop has been a worked 27 tempest for me but that lags on holeshot especially with dual poles now.

5. Member
    DTS have you tried a Bravo on your set up? I was thinking of trying one. I heard a lot of good things about that prop.

6. Member
    No I have not had a chance to. From my understanding, the trophy's are the best all around prop once you get it worked right for a G. Low Slung Cruiser has a lot of experience setting up G's and his advice wont steer you wrong. What year is your outlaw? Your boat may not have a great holeshot in general because of the motor only being a 2.5 L, or so thats what I understand. Mine has never had a great holeshot either. The pre 1999 or 2000 model outlaws are a different hull then the newer ones, older Outlaws were rated for a 150/175 and the 1999+ were rated for a 200.

7. Member
    Yea, mine is a 1998 rated for 150hp. I want to put a 3.0 l on it one day but until then I help it out the hole.

8. Member
    Ah I see. Then yours with a 200 should be a rocket. Correct me if I am wrong here, but that model Outlaw was still an 18' model? The 1999+ outlaws were 19'-4".

9. Member
    Mine measures 19'4" and the best I have seen on the top end with a 25 Trophy is 77 GPS. Mid and Top are great, just bottom end is bad. I would give up 1-2 MPH for a better hole shot.

Quote Originally Posted by thaydel View Post
    Thanks, I tried adjusting the pvs plugs. I have 2 large and 2 with no plugs. If I remove all plugs it blows out.
    Then u opened the PVS up too much... I’d suggest getting a PVS plug kit... then try it with the medium and small hole ... try to keep it balanced

11. Member
    Ok. I tried it with the larger size plug in all 4 and hole shot wasn’t as good as it is with the 2 larger and 2 open holes. No blow out like this just when I tried with all the holes open with no plugs.

12. Member
    Put a blow out ring on the Trophy and then you can dial your PVS holes to suit the rev on the initial hit.. The Blow out ring will prevent it from uncoupling on breakover..
    2006 Gambler 2200DC/250XS
    Rick Hallenbeck

13. Member
    Ok. Thanks. I’ll give that a try.

14. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    A worked Bravo I.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Blowout ring will cost you 1+mph...
    as long as he doesn't have an Optimax the Blowout ring isn't necessary...
    go back to dialing in the PVS on the trophy

16. Member
    Is the blowout ring a necessity on an opti? Just wondering.

NOT a 100% necessity, but with the Optimax and a Torquemaster 1, you "can" get out of the hole after dialing in the PVS and no Cav ring, but its very delicate...however, you take a optimax with the Torquemaster 2 "WIngmaster" and you can hang it up without the Cav Ring...

18. Member
    W/O the anti-cav ring hole shots become way less predictable. One time it’s great... next time it sucks. Could be caused by the weather. Could be caused by a slight change in load. Most times caused by the devil!!!

19. Member
    Ok, thats good to know gents. I had a ring with my 26 trophy and didnt have any issues with it. Mine has a TM Gen 1. We didnt use a ring when i ran the 26 Pro Max though, that was a monster out of the hole with large plugs!! Top end it ran 72.3 with two and full load. However, I couldnt run the motor high enough because i didnt have the top 4 holes plugged at the time. That prop made the boat run totally different vs. the tempest. A lot of stern lift and level. I'd like to give one another spin... but they arent cheap!

i ran 2 different Promax's....
    only thing impressed me was the MID RANGE accelaration...otherwise they absolutley sucked...and i experimented heavily with the PVS system and a Cav Ring/Cav Ring Shaving...
    my bravo xs is within .5mph on big end and way more friendly with holeshot...

DTS you need to run a 26 fury 3...guarantee you its better than that Tempest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast