Ultrex spotlock issue

So first time out. Cal the heading sensor and offset it. Spot lock seemed to work fine, jog feature seemed to work. Very little wind. As the day went on, the spot lock started getting intermittent. Did a couple of different things:

1. Would immediately come out off spotlock within a few secs of setting it

2. would appear to spotlock but after a couple of adjustments would come out of spot lock, often after turning 180. Pedal seems clear, motor was indexed level

3. Would spot lock but as soon as I hit jog it would come out of spotlock

couple of questions...

could it it be my heading sensor? It’s mounted in a place not completely level though seemed to work initially

GPS signal was always 4 bars on the remote

any other ideas? Some help please

also noticed that when I used the remote any function the TM battery indicator would disappear and re-appear once the remote function was off or done. Is this normal? Could be but it’s the stuff you notice when things are not working right.

2. Member
    Probably not enough wind. Mine does the same thing when the wind is light and variable.
    The TM battery indicator only works when the motor speed is off. Once the prop begins to spin the battery function is no longer available.
    From what you're explaining, I would tend to think that your unit is operating normally.

3. Member
    From my research spot lock tends to freak out if there is little to no wind.

4. Member
    I will be following this thread. First time out on the water after getting my ultrex repaired and today my spot lock would disengage when it would go to the 180 position. This is the first time I noticed this. The first 4 months everything worked perfect. I do not think it should be disengaging.

5. Member
    If you have an external transducer with the transducer cable running up the shaft... make sure you have plenty of slack in the transducer cable where the shaft meets the motor housing!!! If not enough slack for the motor to freely spin to it's preset limit in both directions, the motor will detect the resistance and disengage spotlock (if your lucky). I have also seen pics of it ripping the transducer cable in half if enough slack is not given.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

6. Member
    I’ve got plenty of slack in the cable.

7. Member
    If the trolling motor or the foot pedal meets any resistance, it will kick out of spotlock. There were "some" that go through Quality Control that had the zip tie under the toe of the footpedal turned "up" and the pedal would hit it in complete toe down and kick out of spotlock. Fix is to rotate the zip tie.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    I'll check the zip tie. Thanks Mr Jones.
    Last edited by rfdong; 01-22-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Mine has done weird stuff when engaged with no wind.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

10. Banned
    yea it'll hunt with little to no wind. you don't really need spot lock if there is no wind though

11. Member
    It doesn’t just hunt, it either won’t even stay in lock w/o any motor adjustment or makes 1-2 adjustments and comes out. Thanks

12. Member
    My ultrex on my Triton has been doing the very same thing. I have tried everything. I have a XI5 on my pontoon and it never loses the gps signal. I bought new trolling motor batteries thinking a little more voltage might be the problem. And I did need batteries anyway. No help. Still love the Ultrex but have to solve this problem of losing spotlock signal.

13. Member
    Update for all those that helped me. I checked everything but what I did find was I think the pedal may have been brushing ever so slightly against the trim ring on my recess. I made a cut out and I did move the heading sensor and worked perfectly today, though there was a good breeze as well. Thanks to all!

14. Member
    Thanks for updating.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfdong View Post
    I think the pedal may have been brushing ever so slightly against the trim ring on my recess.
    That would do it. The trolling motor is really sensitive to the pedal hitting something and kicking it out.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

16. Member
    Yeah, it’s imperceptible with normal cable steer even. I knew it rubbed ever so slightly on my Fortrex but when I installed the Ultrex it didn’t appear to rub but with just a little give in the pedal it probably sometime did and then didn’t or not enough to affect it at least initially. Thanks for your help!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    That would do it. The trolling motor is really sensitive to the pedal hitting something and kicking it out.
    Yea, a slight tap with your foot is all I use to turn mine off