Speedo on 07 optimax 90hp

Just bought this boat and the speedometer does not work. I figured the pickup on the lower unit was stopped up so I was going to try it but cannot locate the pickup. I can’t find it on the front where normally they are. Any ideas?

2. Member
    never seen factory case without one
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

I use an orifice drill similar to what's shown in the link.
    https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Fun-Pre...9DSA4P7WGT1N60
    I start out with a very small bit to loosen the crud, usually wood or mud, and move up a couple of sizes to clean it thoroughly. Just take it slow, and don't jab it in too hard so as to avoid damage to rubber tube and fittings, and to avoid breaking the bit. Insert, twist slowly, and back out to pull out the obstruction n small pieces. Repeat until clean. I've had to remove the wire tie holding the tubes together a couple of times to thoroughly clean the pickup. I pour some water through to make sure I have flow, then use a very light shot of compressed air to make sure it's completely clear. Again, be careful, and make sure it's not completely stopped up before using any sort of compressed air to clean it out.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Avoid compressed air if at all possible- there are possibilities of damaging seals or gaskets in SOME gearcases.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor