Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    For grass...
    Throw it on braid and let it fall into the grass. Don't bother modifying it, just rip it free like you would a lipless crank when it gets caught in the grass.

For wood...
    Use a steady retrieve with an original chatterbait. The original style uses a wider, flatter head and is less likely to roll over and get caught. It still happens, but as long as you retrieve at a steady speed you will pull through more than you get caught on.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Never had much trouble with chatterbaits getting hung up in wood, but I use a squarebill more in/around stumps anyway.
    Only mods I make to my chatterbaits is adding a shortened Culprit worm trailer, or pulling the skirt and putting on a Lake Fork Magic minnow.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

3. Member
    Love fishin me some Chatterbaits and the only mod I make is this...

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/zoom...wler-twin-tail

4. Member
    I like a nutech chatterbaits. Has a good two prong weed guard. Rarely gets snagged.

5. Member
    I've never had a lot of problems snagging them, I do add rattles to mine...........especially the ones I fish at night!

6. Member
    I switched to the Evergreen Jackhammer and do nothing to them but add a trailer. They are expensive but worth it!

7. Member
    Jdeedotgee---You ever have any issues with hookups on the Nutech ? Have got lots of bites on it but not good hookups
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

8. Member
    I thought I was hung on a stump once, and soon that stump started swimming. I freaked and didn't set the hook good. I watched it slide out of her mouth about 3ft from me, then she did the prettiest tail walk. I still have nightmares about that day. Of course it was the biggest bass I've ever seen.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    If I'm fishing reel heavy cover I'll take a extra skirt and then the blade off and use a jig head with a weed guard.
    Shhhhhh....i do the same thing but just put a arkie/skipping jig on it. Can throw it in some thick stuff.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

Not like the original style chatterbait but the Strike King Rage Blade is awesome around wood. The original style are nearly worthless around laydowns (IMO) but I can get the rage blade through gnarly laydowns as easily (or even easier) as a spinnerbait. It's not hang free but it is very resistant to rolling over coming over limbs even with a slow retrieve.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

11. Member
    OG chatterbaits are pretty garbage around wood. Two options for me, weedgaurd or swinging EWG style hook. I generally prefer the weedguard route since the mod is easy and the action isn't impacted much at all.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    For grass...
    Throw it on braid and let it fall into the grass. Don't bother modifying it, just rip it free like you would a lipless crank when it gets caught in the grass.

For wood...
    Use a steady retrieve with an original chatterbait. The original style uses a wider, flatter head and is less likely to roll over and get caught. It still happens, but as long as you retrieve at a steady speed you will pull through more than you get caught on.
    This! On the wood discussion: So many say you can’t fish them in wood. As long as you don’t stop them in the middle of the shit, they’ll usually come right through it. Wait til you clear the last limb to pause it.

A modification I’ve made is to, on the types that have the blade attached via a split ring, add a couple more split rings between the blade and head. Alternatively you could use a snap that you trust. Seems like the additional spacing between the blade and head gets them to “hunt” more. Fair warning: the more space between the head and blade, the more they’ll be prone to hanging up.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member

14. Member
    Chatterbait is king around grass but wood not so much.

Strike king rage blade is good around wood and not great in grass.

It is due to the way the blade attaches to the head and how the bait deflects. A chatterbait rolls over and will put the hook right into the timber.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

15. Member
    If I Texpose the hook on this worm/chatter rig, I rarely get hung up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just fish them....

17. Member
    Lure parts online.com, make your own using a weed guard jig head. Wait, are those Z-Man guys gonna sue me for patent infringement now? Never mind, I don’t do that.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    Jdeedotgee---You ever have any issues with hookups on the Nutech ? Have got lots of bites on it but not good hookups
    I have missed a few here and there. I follow up with a senko if i miss one.

I use a keitech swing impact fat on mine as a trailer.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12