Anyone mastered the use of an air fryer?

I purchased an air fryer for Christmas out of curiosity. The reviews on line are vast in opinion. This thing cooks a mean potato...and is awesome with french fries and onion rings! The fries and onion rings are nice and crunchy just like regular deep fryer style. I can't seem to get chicken wings to turn out much more than a broiled taste and was hoping for a better result. I am hesitant to batter them as of yet...and fish is the same so far...any help?

2. Member
    I would love to be able to get them to work like deep frying.

3. Member
    hummm what temp setting are you using for your wings and how long.. Are you cooking from frozen or thawed ?

My method is to take the thawed wings and put them in a plastic bag. Add a table spoon or so of oil along with seasoning and shake them up. Dump them straight into the fryer at roughly 365. Once they get close to being done I bump it up to 400 or whatever the max is until they are crispy. I have found that it takes a bit of time to get them crispy but eventually get pretty close to that of a deep fried wing.

4. Tired of muddy water Texas Rigs N Jigs's Avatar
    i ran my wings at 365 so they would cook. Then crank it up to 400 for the crispy skin. Then rub with sauce and run for another 400 for a few minutes.
    -----------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Stephen

2014 Bass Tracker 175TF w/ 75 Mercury

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Texas-Rigs-...11968965774371
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_7...7y0GgICAVeTZww

5. Member
    Something else I forgot to add was that if you lightly coat in baking powder it REALLY makes them crispy. Yes I thought this was weird as well but im telling ya it works.

BAKING POWDER not baking soda. LOL

Put a bunch of wings in a bag and dump in a bit of powder. Shake them up and then dump into the air fryer. You can cook as is or spray lightly with cooking oil.

6. Member
    I'm not sure of the temperature and will check with the wife...she has cooked them each time. The wings each time were thawed...that I do know. Thanks for the help thus far.

7. Member
    Wings have turned out awesome for us. Fresh 1 boners dipped in water and then a store bought dry breading.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    hummm what temp setting are you using for your wings and how long.. Are you cooking from frozen or thawed ?

My method is to take the thawed wings and put them in a plastic bag. Add a table spoon or so of oil along with seasoning and shake them up. Dump them straight into the fryer at roughly 365. Once they get close to being done I bump it up to 400 or whatever the max is until they are crispy. I have found that it takes a bit of time to get them crispy but eventually get pretty close to that of a deep fried wing.
    Yes pretty close to what I do .. they have to be room temp or refrigerator temp.. extra crispy wings take almost 17 min in a 365° air fryer.. toss every 4 min..

9. Member
    Thanks guys...gonna give it another try today...be back in touch!

10. Member

11. Member
    Thanks Cray!

12. Member
    I have never seen an air fryer with shelves like that before. I think I need one

13. Member
    It's a oven.
    Ranger 520vx Yamaha 225 ox66.

14. Member
    Well gentlemen...I owe you all a big thanks! The wings turned out fantastic this time. Cooked starting with them thawed and coated in Hooters dry mix and sprinkled with olive oil spray at 360 and then flipped every 4 minutes and sprayed with more oil and after they looked pretty good we cranked it up to 400...The only problem we had is that we didn't cook enough of them! Thanks so much!

15. Member
    Wife got me one for Christmas, so far I’m not impressed with it. I’ll probably put it up somewhere and go back to a pan and grease