Question Help / looking at tin boat for dad ...etc

I have owned glass boats for the last 20 years or so really not sure what to look for.

My dad just retired and is looking some Tracker PT 175's for example.

I know there are few changes in beam, length, bottom width etc after 07 but is there really much difference from say an 03 to a 08

He is currently looking at a 03 PT175 what can you guys tell me good or bad about them?? Any thing we should really look for? Would it be worth getting a 07 or newer?? He is not wanting to spend a ton of cash but wants to get what is best for him. Also SUPER limited on being able to get in these boats around here.

Thank you for any help.
    Brian Walters
    2012 ZX21
    2012 Yamaha 250 SHO
    25 T1 and 26 Tempest Plus
    Helix Mega G3N, Mega 360, Ultrex 112

2. Member
    The last Tracker I owned was a 1999 PT 165. Currently in a 2015 Crestliner VT17.

About 7 years ago I was looking at the exact same year models that you are trying to help find.
    As far as the boat itself goes, they are just about all the same other than small changes each model year.
    It's a metal boat with a wood floor. As long as it was not left out in the elements uncovered the wood should be fine.
    The bigger problem I ran into was what motor was on the boat and how it was treated by the last owner.
    Almost all the boats where under powered with 40 hp or so, or if it had at least a 60 min. It had not been taken care of appropriately or had way to few hours on it....
    If it's 6+ years old but only has 40 hrs on it, then it has sat for long periods of time not running, most likely with the same old gas and oil in it for way too long.

Used trackers (in good shape) are harder to find than you would think. In the decade I owned mine I enlarged the deck, replaced the carpet,
    upgraded the trolling motor to a 80lb 24v along with 6ga wire front to back, and added new graphs to get it at a point I was happy with.

This will sound stupid but when researching, the biggest disappointment after the 2002 model year is they made the console go all the way to the side of the boat so rods could not lay flat on the deck. My 1999 and the Crestliner I have now... You can put any length of rods on the front deck and they fit between the console and side of the boat.

I do remember in my research somewhere around '07 or '09 or something the bilge compartment was made with very little extra room. Since I run 4 batteries it was almost impossible to fit 4 in some of those model years.
    I'm probably not much help but I tend to type alot after Happy hour.
    2015 VT 17 w/ 75 4stroke Merc
    Garmin 106sv, Echomap Plus 73sv, & LVS34
    & lots of fish ;)

3. Member
    I have a 2003 175pt and love it. Just be sure to check the transom because they still used wood sandwich construction. I believe 05 and newer used all aluminum construction on the transom. Other than that they are very similar the newer ones are a few inches wider and longer. The one I got was really clean just make sure you get a good deal also, I wouldn't get anything less than a 50hp.

4. Member
    Used Trackers in great shape fetch good money around here. I helped a friends wife look while he was deployed. He came home to a new topper which he customized himself. The nice ones were darn near the prices of the new ones. Most that were ten years old were trashed, we have lots of them around here. I see a few every day on the way to work sitting in various stages of cover in the elements.

I guess i should say used aluminum boats fetch pretty good money around here.

When you get down to the 5K mark you'll find all kinds of contraptions listed in these parts LOL. By time you're approaching the 10K mark might as well look at the Heritage Tracker. Maybe you'll find a great deal somewhere in-between in your area? Around here you better be there with cash in hand when they come up.

5. Member
    Got mine for under 6 but it took some time to find it. Heritage Boat might be a good idea if you can swing it since it has full warranties.

If I was you, I would get the 07. That’s the year the size changed. My 06 has a all aluminum transom, with a 54” bottom. And 83” beam. 07 and up 60” bottom. It does make a difference. Iam find with mine. But having fish out of the larger version. There is a difference.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    If I was you, I would get the 07. That’s the year the size changed. My 06 has a all aluminum transom, with a 54” bottom. And 83” beam. 07 and up 60” bottom. It does make a difference. Iam find with mine. But having fish out of the larger version. There is a difference.
    That was one of the things we have found out. Did you notice a pretty big difference in stability?

Thanks for you input
    Brian Walters
    2012 ZX21
    2012 Yamaha 250 SHO
    25 T1 and 26 Tempest Plus
    Helix Mega G3N, Mega 360, Ultrex 112

8. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    X2!
    I had an 06 for 9 years and it was a wonderful boat, no problems what-so-ever and got good trade value out of 'er when I upgraded. All that said, I always wished she had been a bit wider, my only gripe but that's not the boats fault. Go with the 07 / wider model if you can...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Quote Originally Posted by wabassguy1 View Post
    That was one of the things we have found out. Did you notice a pretty big difference in stability?

Thanks for you input
    When you are alone on the front deck. I really don’t think there’s much difference at all. But when someone else is on the back of the boat, there is a big difference, between a O6 and a 07 and later.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

And 2007-2009 models were 17’10” long instead of 17’7”. Not a huge difference but 17’10” is very close to a true 18 footer. The 07 has a nice layoit too. Zero issues with my 08.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.