Ultrex Shaft Length for a 195VS?

I've got a new to me 195 and putting on an Ultrex in the next week or so. I don't fish big water often here in Texas but will get out there on occasion. Which is best for this boat, 45 or 52 inch shaft?

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    This question has been asked a lot, and the responses always are split. IMO, there are 2 reasons not to get 52” on a mid-sized bass hull and 1 reason to get 52”. The first reason not to get 52” is that if you don’t have it deep in the water (which you wouldn’t if shallow bottom, weeds, or obstructions were an issue), it can be a hazard to sidearm or underhand casting. Second reason is that (if you don’t already have a long shaft troller) you would need to get a boat cover redone. The one reason to get 52” is if you frequently fish in waves or wakes greater than 2 feet in height. A 45”, which I prefer and have run on every boat up to Z520s on Lake Erie, stays in the water just fine in waves less than 2 feet, and even occasional waves or wakes of greater height bothers me less than breaking rods when attempting to cast under a low dock or branch. If you don’t make low casts or use a boat cover, there’s no harm in having a very tall trolling motor.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Well said...and agree went with the 45 here the 52 just would have been too high for my style of 80 percent shallow fishing.

4. Member
    I went with the 45" for my 519 for the reasons listed above, too bad I installed it 2 weeks after I winterized my boat for the year so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
    2020 Triton TRX19- Mercury 225 ProXs 4s
    Solix 12 MSI Console, Solix 12MDI Bow
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    Garmin 106sv Livescope Bow
    Ultrex, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    2022 Silverado
    Member of Skoolin' Bass Anglers and Wolf River Bass Club

5. Member
    Personally I use a 52 and have for years as well as about 40%of my customers. I fish out on the main lake about 90% of the time and you just about have to have a 52 inch to set out there in 25 mph winds. We do fish shallow in the spring a couple of weeks but my tm has never gotten in my way. Just my two cents!!!!