Decisions sections. Gt or lowrance?

I have a echomap 73sv non chirp and a striker 7cv chirp mounted side by side. For the most part I'm happy with the echomap and the 2d of the striker but in my opinion the down imaging sucks. Of course both of these are running the cv transducers and if I had known all that was going down with that I don't believe I would have bought them in first place. I'm on the fence about going back to lowrance or possibly simrad. I can buy my buddies elite9ti for $600 and have a 9" screen and alot more features than I currently have with the garmins. My question is can you still buy the gt transducers and how much difference is really over the cv? Which gt transducer would I need for each unit? Or do you guys think I should abandon ship and take the deal on the elite?

2. Banned
    Which transducer on the 9ti?

3. Member
    It's the totalscan transducer. Has chirp, side and down imaging.

There will not be a noticeable difference with the GT transducer.

5. Banned
    My old Totalscan was hit and miss. Sometimes I got good side shots and other times didn't. Downscan was fine. So a Gt vs Totalscan might be a toss up.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    As for chirp, correct me if im wrong but the Garmin ducer is a true chirp ducer where the total scan is not....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    I have lss-2, total scan and gt 52's running side by side on my rig, both on console and bow. HDS 9 gen 3's and 7610sxv's. I just changed my trolling motor transducer from a total scan to a gt-52 which I bought on line about a month ago. Real chirp on the Garmin , superior sidescan, way better self mapping is what I am seeing.
    " If you are going to be stupid, you have got to be tough!"

Real chirp on the Garmin , superior sidescan

Images please

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscfo View Post
    I have lss-2, total scan and gt 52's running side by side on my rig.
    Pics would be good. I like to see what other people are seeing. Back in April I compared GT50,51,52 & LSS1 and posted pics. The reactions were quite interesting. With everyone looking at the same images, opinions on which was best differed. Some even thought it proved something. I'm not so sure anything was proven, but I thought the GT50 gave the best detail. Of course this was with old Lowrance technology. Not the LSS2, not Totalscan, not 3d, no Hbird HDSI and no MEGA.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=800873

This stuff is reminding me of how Sears used to sell washing machines. They identifed them as Good, Better, and Best. With side imaging though it's hard to get agreement on which word accurately fits each brand/model. Except maybe there is agreement that Hbird MEGA takes the cake on closer ranges.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basscfo View Post
    I have lss-2, total scan and gt 52's running side by side on my rig, both on console and bow. HDS 9 gen 3's and 7610sxv's. I just changed my trolling motor transducer from a total scan to a gt-52 which I bought on line about a month ago. Real chirp on the Garmin , superior sidescan, way better self mapping is what I am seeing.
    Basscfo, still want to take you up on your offer to catch a ride and take a look at your setup....

I have the CV ducer and will say that i'm impressed by the returns on the unit for Sonar.......i know it comparing a non chirp ducer (like Totalscan and regular ducers) to Garmin's chirp but for me it was all the "noise" at the top of the screen if pretty much GONE.....as for Side Vu/Clear Vu, hadnt had much of a chance to try it out but that one time i was setting it up....need a little bit more time playing with it.....

But in the back of my head i'm wanting to make a switch...........i'll probably wait till summer after the Classic and Icast to see if there is anything new that comes down the pipe before figuring out what i want to do...
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS