Building Confidence in Baits

I feel that as anglers we sometimes get "hooked" on our go to confidence baits. I know that I have spent the whole day throwing the same baits without success...because I feel comfortable with them. My New Year resolution was to use more baits that I lack confidence in...and grow my techniques and presentations. I was rewarded on this trip with a chunky 5+ pound bass.

Last edited by 1Cast 1Fish; 01-20-2018 at 09:19 PM.

2. Member
    Nice video! We’re doing the same thing, I’m good with blade baits and jerks, but forcing myself to throw underspins and swimjigs this year. Good luck, jerks and blades are deadly baits, hope i find more confidence in my challenges this year.

Quote Originally Posted by FowlZurk View Post
    Nice video! We’re doing the same thing, I’m good with blade baits and jerks, but forcing myself to throw underspins and swimjigs this year. Good luck, jerks and blades are deadly baits, hope i find more confidence in my challenges this year.
    Glad you enjoyed
    Good luck on the water and continue to try new things and grow as a angler. I know that there was a few times I wanted to chuck that blade bait , but stuck with it.

4. Member
    Key for me on "new baits" is get bit quick. I'm sorry, that's just the way I am.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

I've always been a crankbait, topwater and finesse worm / tube guy and those are my confidence baits. This year I am going to make a serious effort to learn to dropshot and fish jigs more effectively. When my buddy wanted to learn to fish jigs he left everything else at home - had no choice but to focus on jig fishing. Now it is his go-to technique...

Its so easy just to fall back to "ol reliable" (a shad rap for me).....
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

6. Member
    I’m learning to fish deep. And drop shot is all new to me this year. But new lake(lanier) calls for some an open mind.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

Quote Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
    I’m learning to fish deep. And drop shot is all new to me this year. But new lake(lanier) calls for some an open mind.
    I am a big fan of the drop shot for deep water summer work, not much of a master...but good enough to find a bite every now and then...Good luck out there

8. BBC SPONSOR
    I started forcing myself 5 years ago to pick a few different baits and learn how to use them every year. It's made me a much more versital fisherman. I was one of the worst at falling in love with a certain bait and color and never changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    I was one of the worst at falling in love with a certain bait and color and never changing.
    Your not the only one...I can definitely understand the color thing as well ...do I really need 5 colors of 6" Senkos LOL

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cast 1Fish View Post
    Your not the only one...I can definitely understand the color thing as well ...do I really need 5 colors of 6" Senkos LOL
    First I was stuck on a 7inch power worm. They stopped making my favorite color so then I got stuck on a chomper tube. Both still catch fish but both has there time and place. I've done much better as a tournament fisherman when I started expanding on what I throw.

I started forcing myself 5 years ago to pick a few different baits and learn how to use them every year. It's made me a much more versital fisherman. I was one of the worst at falling in love with a certain bait and color and never changing.
    Don't feel alone - I think alot of us suffer from the same ailment!!!
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

If you are out fun fishing and stumble on a lot of small fish, that's when you need to pull out the new stuff and gain confidence in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    If you are out fun fishing and stumble on a lot of small fish, that's when you need to pull out the new stuff and gain confidence in it.
    Who wants to catch small fish LOL

14. Member
    I know it's so easy to a lot of people.... but I really want to get better at jig fishing. I love finesse fishing (shakey head, ned rig, drop shot..) but i want to jig fish more. I just give up too quick usually and put it down.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by akaslyguy View Post
    I know it's so easy to a lot of people.... but I really want to get better at jig fishing. I love finesse fishing (shakey head, ned rig, drop shot..) but i want to jig fish more. I just give up too quick usually and put it down.
    Don't give up. It took several attempts to find what works for me. Now it's one of my confidence baits. I won 2 tournaments last year on a jig alone. 2 years ago I never fished a jig hardly. My bigest advice is to experiment with the weight of the jig.. I was throwing jigs that was to heavy for the places I was fishing. Lightened up a little and things started to happen.. I didn't get hung up every other cast like before either.

16. Member
    What was the hardest thing for you to learn? For me it is still deep cranking. I just can't consistently tick the top of the grass without burying it. Fishing deep with footballs wasn't easy but man, am I glad I learned that.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    What was the hardest thing for you to learn? For me it is still deep cranking. I just can't consistently tick the top of the grass without burying it. Fishing deep with footballs wasn't easy but man, am I glad I learned that.
    It seems like we all have or strengths and weaknesses, we can learn a lot from our fellow anglers. That's one of the reasons I enjoy sharing, because I normally learn a few new things in the process.

18. Member
    Been trying that for two seasons now...lol
    Always go back to what I know and have confidence in. Used to have confidence in cranks but lately they are collecting dust.

Quote Originally Posted by fxdwgkd View Post
    Been trying that for two seasons now...lol
    Always go back to what I know and have confidence in. Used to have confidence in cranks but lately they are collecting dust.
    I hear you there, I say that I will try new stuff all the time...It works for a bit, then I end up going back to my own ways...not this time though...LOL ...I am actually doing pretty good so far this year in staying with new stuff.