2006 e tec 225 hp won’t start after starting half the day

I have a 2006 evinrude e tec 225 hp that has what seems to be a fuel delivery problem. When I start out fishing in the morning the motor starts with no problems an runs fine. I run from spot to spot with no issues. About mid day I will go to start the motor and it will crank but not fire and run. If I wait for anywhere from 5-15 minutes I try the motor and it fires up and goes the rest of the day with no problems. The#4 injector was replaced about a year ago and the problem has been going since that injector was replace. I have taken it back to the mechanic that does my work and can’t find any problem and nothing shows up on a diagnostic check on the computer. I have changed the primer bulb and fuel pump and the problem still occurs. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I would suspect the 55 Volt circuit, The big blue capacitor develops the 55 V and should be checked to verify proper operation. I had one to fail and found that it had leaked. The key switch should be checked as well.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Member
    Thanks I did check the key switch and replaced it with a new one and the problem persisted. I will check that capacitor.

4. Member
    Not sure if this will be any help on an 06 but I have a '17 ETEC that would start perfect in the AM on a cold start, run to my starting spot and would take forever to fire on a warm start. Had to advance throttle boot just to get it to start. Anything over the idle RPM's there was no issue. WOT it was perfect and advance the throttle 200 RPMS past idle and it was perfect. Mechanic called Evinrude and they compared mine to 4 other ETECs on the showroom. I'm not a mechanic so this won't sound very technical but they had to replace the VST and there was also a vacuum hose that was installed incorrectly at the factory by maybe an inch. It was rubbing on the fly wheel and had a hole wore in it. They replaced the VST, that vacuum hose, filters, and waterpump/impeller, TPS and a few other small things. Problem gone. I guess the engine thought it was flooding.

5. Member
    Yeah, I’ve checked the vst replaced the vst filter and fuel filter/water separator. Thought maybe a loose ground but have no idea where to check since I’m not to savvy with outboards. Maybe the stator?

6. Member
    I would say fuel pump or TPS sensor can go haywire without throwing a code and could cause your exact issue. Both can be changed for under $250 and about 2 hours of labor. You'll also need ear hose clamps. If it has over 500 hours a fuel pump replacement might not be a bad idea anyways.

Don't forget to clean VST filter> replace plugs and index if needed and clean exhaust EGR nipple.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded