Newbie questions

I purchased a G3 Gator Tough 18SC at the end of last year that came with no electronics. The boat is going to be used as a multi-purpose platform for fishing and hunting. I had the dealer add an MK Fortrex with US2. My next project is adding a console and bow finder/gps. My thoughts are a Helix 10 G2N with SI at the console and a Helix 7 DI G2N at the bow. I would start with running the 7 on the US2 and change out to the DI transducer if I am not happy with the results. I would link them together with ethernet and get cards for both units. Does it sound like I am on the right path? I have never installed these things before, how hard are these to install? The boat has flotation pods in the back, any ideas on transducer locations for the SI and a separate high speed linked by Y cable?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Any help with this?

Thank you

3. Member
    It is a bit hard to see the transom from those pics. I looked through the G3 manual and found nothing about transducers. I would call G3 or perhaps go to a forum that talks about them. A straight on(from the back) pic of the whole transom might help. Bob

With the floatation pods, you will have to use the SI transducer for on-plane depth since it will have to go next to the bilge drain hole to be low enough to get some SI clearance. The SI pulses will still be reflected some by the pods though.

A more expensive way is to put a SI transducer on each pod and then a 2D transducer near the drain hole.
    That would take a LR Y cable and a BD Y cable.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Thanks for the info guys. Don't think I want to do a transducer on each pod as they (pods) tend to take a beating. What about mounting the side imaging transducer next to the drain hole and the 2d transducer on a pod? That way if I wreck it it is a lot cheaper to fix. How much do you think the pod reflection is going to disrupt the image, still useable or will it be a distraction? Other option would be to give up on the side imaging and just install a down imaging unit. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by WIGrizzly View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Don't think I want to do a transducer on each pod as they (pods) tend to take a beating. What about mounting the side imaging transducer next to the drain hole and the 2d transducer on a pod? That way if I wreck it it is a lot cheaper to fix. How much do you think the pod reflection is going to disrupt the image, still useable or will it be a distraction? Other option would be to give up on the side imaging and just install a down imaging unit. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
    If the pods go all the way down to the bottom of the hull, the higher you put the SI transducer above the hull, the more the SI pulses will be blocked.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    OK, I looked at it again (tough as it is buried in snow from yesterdays storm). The pods are about 3.5" above the lowest point of the keel. Weird question, how big is the transducer (thickness and length)? I think I will be able to mount it next to the bilge hole and that will put it below the pods. I did see in the online mounting instructions you are to be 15" to the side of the prop and that is not going to happen with this mounting option. Any problems not being 15" to the side? Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by WIGrizzly View Post
    OK, I looked at it again (tough as it is buried in snow from yesterdays storm). The pods are about 3.5" above the lowest point of the keel. Weird question, how big is the transducer (thickness and length)? I think I will be able to mount it next to the bilge hole and that will put it below the pods. I did see in the online mounting instructions you are to be 15" to the side of the prop and that is not going to happen with this mounting option. Any problems not being 15" to the side? Thank you for your help.
    No problem being directly in line with the prop with that hull.

The G2N SI unit is MEGA SI. Its transducer is 7" long (8" installed with mount). It is 1 1/8" thick top to bottom and 3" wide.

It will still see the pods since Humminbird's SI covers from the water's surface to past vertical on both sides using 455 kHz.
    You will get lines next to the center line from multi-echoes.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Wayne, really appreciate the help. I am going to do some more measurements tomorrow and as long as I can get everything to fit in it is time to order the Helix 10 Mega with SI.