Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. mikesxpress
    I have never got 5 years out of wet cell battery. 3 tops.
    AGM's you don't have to perform constant checks on acid level and add water and mine make it 5 years +.

2. Member
    Probably judging battery life in years is a misnomer. It should be charging cycles, a Minnesota fisherman will have fewer cycles than a Florida fisherman in one years time.

3. mikesxpress
    Very true!
    Being retired I fish 2-4 days a week from March thru Oct when deer season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    I have never got 5 years out of wet cell battery. 3 tops.
    AGM's you don't have to perform constant checks on acid level and add water and mine make it 5 years +.
    My Delco's are 2011's. They still hold a charge, but if I'm on the pedal a lot they will drop to 33 volts within 1.5 hours. I check my batteries about once a month, I think I added water twice in 7 years------ ( not that big of a deal ).

I'm just tired of seeing U.S companies manufacturing stuff outside of the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    I'm trying to understand the advantages of AGM batteries over conventional wet cell. Sounds like people are getting around 5yrs. life out of the AGM @ around $200 to $300 each. I normally get 5yrs. out of a set of JCI made wet cells, brand doesn't matter Ever-Start, Interstate ect. @ around $110 each. ??
    The one thing that convinced me that AGM is all I'll ever have is realizing my start battery laid on it's side for about a month (and through 4-5 trips) before I looked in the bilge and saw it when I was adding oil to the reservoir. The ratchet strap came loose and the battery must have gotten loose on in rough water. I'll pay the extra for piece of mind, and a total lack of maintenance required once installed. Check the terminals periodically, charge, go fishing.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

6. Member
    After trying the Lithium route for over a year, went to Duracell Platinum Group 31's for trolling and X2 for cranking/electronics, all from Batteries Plus. No problems with powering all day since then.

7. mikesxpress
    Gave up the lithium batteries after a year? Tell us about that.....

8. Member
    Going with Mercury branded batteries in the new boat. They have come highly recommended by everyone who has run them. The Marinas around here have brought them in over other top brands as well because if their reputation up here.

9. Member
    I went agm for the ease of maintenance and their ability to recover better after discharge.
    Nitro z21

10. Member
    I went with an agm for my cranking battery because in theory they should be better then wet. Not sure it matters as much on the trollers. That said, I see major discounts on Optima about every time I looked on Pep Boys and the AGM's at Sams are priced well.

My agm on my Durango was 7 years old and going strong when I replaced it. Never had a wet car battery do better then 5.5 before it failed.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    The one thing that convinced me that AGM is all I'll ever have is realizing my start battery laid on it's side for about a month (and through 4-5 trips) before I looked in the bilge and saw it when I was adding oil to the reservoir. The ratchet strap came loose and the battery must have gotten loose on in rough water. I'll pay the extra for piece of mind, and a total lack of maintenance required once installed. Check the terminals periodically, charge, go fishing.
    I open the Aft hatches every single time i charge the batteries ( too many fire post on here)

12. Member
    Be ready for people who don’t know jack about what you’re after when battery shopping. You should do your homework online. Had one battery plus lady try to tell me they don’t use wet cell batteries in boats anymore. The deep cycle battery world to me seems like a big hush hush, nobody wants to tell you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I open the Aft hatches every single time i charge the batteries ( too many fire post on here)
    I open the hatch on the bilge after every trip and before I hook up the charger. Just didn’t notice the battery on its side due to the position of the oil reservoir in front of the start battery. Hence, no more wet cells for me.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by autigerz View Post
    After trying the Lithium route for over a year, went to Duracell Platinum Group 31's for trolling and X2 for cranking/electronics, all from Batteries Plus. No problems with powering all day since then.
    Do go on....
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

15. Member
    I just can't understand how you guys are getting so much life out of your trolling batteries. I have tried numerous wet cell brands and consistently get around 14 months out of a set.
    2021 caymas cx21

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWFBOY View Post
    I just can't understand how you guys are getting so much life out of your trolling batteries. I have tried numerous wet cell brands and consistently get around 14 months out of a set.
    Change your address. You need to move to Minnesota, you won't wear them out so fast.

17. Member
    True that Bill , no hard water in Florida. Fishing the river and matted grass takes a toll on mine. I also think fishing styles come into play. Some folks tell me to slow down on the trolling motor, others want to move along. Some guys I fish with leave theirs on just enough to barely move. I normally leave mine around 60%. All this has to vary how much you deplete batteries.

Two years is about it for my trolling motor batteries. I’m trying the East Penn made Duracell group 31’s AGMs from Sams this time.

No more refining lead in our country, about four years now. It can be recycled. In my experience recycling cost more, how many want to pay more for the Made in America Label?

More need to be like Bassman and at least try.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    I'm trying to understand the advantages of AGM batteries over conventional wet cell. Sounds like people are getting around 5yrs. life out of the AGM @ around $200 to $300 each. I normally get 5yrs. out of a set of JCI made wet cells, brand doesn't matter Ever-Start, Interstate ect. @ around $110 each. ??
    I'll gladly pay the extra to not have to check water. of course i went from agm to lithuim so

19. Member
    My tm Delco batteries are going on three years old still last all day. Delco Are also on sale for the winter just priced a 29 series cranking battery for $104.00.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFBOY View Post
    Last year I fished an avg. 3-4 times a week--7-9 hours each time---- on 2011 Delco Batteries. I also run a Stealth Charging System and I believe it helps the longevity of the batteries. 36 volt Fortrex--- I fish no wake lakes 85% of the time, so i'm on the pedal alot--- I never need it cranked up all the way. As soon as i back the boat in the garage it is plugged in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12