Tungsten worm weight mod

I've seen a couple of videos on protecting your fluorocarbon line from your tungsten weight by stretching and putting the "right kind of shrink tubing" inside of it.

Does anyone know what the "right kind of shrink tubing" is ?

2. Member
    I bought a 100’ roll of 1/8 shrink tube off of eBay for $7. I don’t know if it’s the “right kind” but it works.

just about any 1/8" shrink tube will work, get at local hardware or order off Ebay/Amazon,,,,, only use it for 3/4 oz and heaver

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    just about any 1/8" shrink tube will work, get at local hardware or order off Ebay/Amazon,,,,, only use it for 3/4 oz and heaver
    How come???
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

5. Member
    I am watching this. I usually just put a bobber stop on between the weight and the knot. One above the weight if I don't want it to move. I don't have any issues in doing it his way
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    How come???
    Well for one thing the hole in 3/4 oz is bigger than 1/2 and below, i have two different bobber stops i use depending on the weight , 1/2 oz and below use the smaller bobber stops and above your the larger due to the bigger hole in the heaver weights , and when you get into the 3/4 oz and above they will fray your line much more due to the weight and size , ,
    I use tungsten weights that are polished and i fray check every one my weights before they go in my box , ( use a piece of line tied to a bench and run the weight up and down to see if it frays or nicks the line ) but even with the diamond polished interior the heavier weights are very hard on your line if you dont use the shrink tube

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbender View Post
    I've seen a couple of videos on protecting your fluorocarbon line from your tungsten weight by stretching and putting the "right kind of shrink tubing" inside of it.

Does anyone know what the "right kind of shrink tubing" is ?
    What videos???... Links???... Dan

8. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    I've never heard of doing this? Is this only for fluoro? I typically only put anything heavier than 3/4 on braid anyhow..

9. Member
    Skip the ad -

10. Banned
    Pretty ingenious... Thanks for sharing... Dan

11. Member
    The video Buccaneer posted is fine. But I like one FLW (now BASS) pro Wesley Strader did. Just search Wesley Strader Tungsten Weight insert on YouTube. It's a quick video and sticks in your brain after one watch.

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    The video Buccaneer posted is fine. But I like one FLW (now BASS) pro Wesley Strader did. Just search Wesley Strader Tungsten Weight insert on YouTube. It's a quick video and sticks in your brain after one watch.
    Just looked it up. I completely agree with you. His method is all but exactly the same, but it's sure a lot quicker and simpler and results in much less waste. Thanks for the tip!

Here's video if anyone is looking for it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Just looked it up. I completely agree with you. His method is all but exactly the same, but it's sure a lot quicker and simpler and results in much less waste. Thanks for the tip!

Here's video if anyone is looking for it.
    Thanks for sharing that video!!! Good tip!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

14. Member
    If the tungsten your buying is fraying your line you need to buy from somewhere else. I've fished thousands and thousands of cast with a weight and the only time I had an issue was when I drilled the inserts out of a few and it left a sharp edge. Literally never an issue. I've been buying from real deal tungsten for the last few times I've needed some, before that was sk. No issues with either

Check out Dominator Tungsten! We're a board Sponsor too.
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Last edited by limit5bass; 01-26-2018 at 04:38 PM.

17. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    If the tungsten your buying is fraying your line you need to buy from somewhere else. I've fished thousands and thousands of cast with a weight and the only time I had an issue was when I drilled the inserts out of a few and it left a sharp edge. Literally never an issue. I've been buying from real deal tungsten for the last few times I've needed some, before that was sk. No issues with either
    Yep!! Only buy from real deal anymore and have ZERO issues. Great prices, quick shipping and good single insert packaging.

18. Member
    I have used Dominator Tungsten for a long time and can't say one ever cut my line. Good stuff for a great price!