Changed my spark plugs today

First and foremost.....major thanks to Don for gapping the new plugs for me and sending them. Greatly appreciate all the correspondence back and forth.

This is what they looked like. I don't believe they were gapped correctly as i took a dial (i know it's technically not the correct tool to use) to check them. Not even close to the .042-.044 range.

Seems like a lot of carbon build up. What do you think? What's the cause if this is excessive and how to i remedy?

Anyways, going test out the newly installed plugs tomorrow. Please pray everything is the same and nothing breaks

2009 Ranger Z520, Mercury 250 ProXS

Don't know how old they are but they look ok to me from the picture..seen a lot worse... were you having any motor issues with the old plugs ?

3. Member
    They look perfect to me. Are you sure those came out of an Optimax?

4. Member
    Great to know. I wasn't having any motor issues, just changing the plugs for 100hr maintenance. I took it out this morning and I do notice it idles better and just sounds better in general.

Again, I just have to thank Don for his help. There need to be more people like him in the world

Nice, clean insulators. No carbon build-up. No erosion. Look for any tracer marks on porcelain.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Member
    5 of the 6 look perfect to me. My best is like your worst from memory.

7. Member
    those look better than mine and Don say's that mine looks fine.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

Lol I'm in the "those look better than mine crowd" my best looks like your worst and I had 1 that was worse than the rest, I wonder if there is an emissions deal on the bottom port side
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Member
    When I changed mine last, they looked almost identical. I had one that was blacker than the rest (like the 2nd one from the left in your picture) cyl 6 I think. My question is why?
    Last edited by cbp84; 01-24-2018 at 11:50 PM.

10. Member
    Could be a number of things......

Injector problem
    Spark problem
    Temperature problem

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Plugs will look like this from a healthy engine that made a nice long run in the mid-RPM range shortly before shutdown.

Plugs from an engine that's been idling for 90+ seconds.... probably not so pretty.

As the OP found out, folks often overlook gapping the plugs. It IS important to proper operation and fuel burn.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Scraps
    Two seasons with my XS and those plugs look way better than mine. My first season I chalked it up to break-in and me burning some 89 octane. Then this past season the plugs looked the same as year before so not sure what my excuse is, maybe I don't always measure my additives to be perfect. A little is good more is perfect.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

13. Member
    I will say that I use non-ethanol gas and use Don's cocktail just about every time I tank up. The only thing I haven't done is add the oil to my gas (yet).

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Two seasons with my XS and those plugs look way better than mine. My first season I chalked it up to break-in and me burning some 89 octane. Then this past season the plugs looked the same as year before so not sure what my excuse is, maybe I don't always measure my additives to be perfect. A little is good more is perfect.
    Correct amount is perfect.

If you're inspecting your plugs after a lengthy idle (in excess of 180 seconds), they're going to look considerably worse.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor