Thread: Xi5 issue

Xi5 issue

Put the boat in today and immediately notice the TM didn’t seem like it was fully charged even though they stay on the charger. The lock would hold me in place fine. I would put it on Max power and it would be sluggish. However, when I took it off of lock it had full power. I would keep the button pressed for a while then the battery light would turn red and it would stop. Press it again and it and it Would be sluggish. Every single time I put the lock on it would hold fine and once I got off of lock it would work for a little while. I also noticed that after it would cut off and the battery turned red he gps would not connect for a while and it would not lock. After about 45 seconds or so it would acquire a signal and the lock would work. We just checked the batteries and they appear to be good. Any ideas? Thanks.

Check your wiring and breakers.
    You need 6 gauge wire and a 60 amp breaker.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

3. Member
    I have been running this motor since April 2017. Would this just now be showing up? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    I have been running this motor since April 2017. Would this just now be showing up? Thanks.

I wouldn't think so but it sounds like your not getting enough juice.
    They are very sensitive to voltage drop.
    I would check the connections and terminals ..also check the connections in the plug if you have one.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

5. Member
    I will check the connections in the AM. Thanks.

6. Member
    Change the Batteries in the remote , use lithium..

7. Member
    I wasn’t using the remote and the batteries in the foot were brand new because I have to change them every time I go fishing.

With that said it stopped doing all that goofy stuff and now it just loses power for a couple of seconds when I am on the motor. It does not lose power when anchored.

8. Member
    Does it lose power if you are on the motor with the foot pedal set real low? Say at 10.

9. Member
    10 would be max. It lost power at 10, 6 and 4. Four was as low as I went.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Put the boat in today and immediately notice the TM didn’t seem like it was fully charged even though they stay on the charger. The lock would hold me in place fine. I would put it on Max power and it would be sluggish. However, when I took it off of lock it had full power. I would keep the button pressed for a while then the battery light would turn red and it would stop. Press it again and it and it Would be sluggish. Every single time I put the lock on it would hold fine and once I got off of lock it would work for a little while. I also noticed that after it would cut off and the battery turned red he gps would not connect for a while and it would not lock. After about 45 seconds or so it would acquire a signal and the lock would work. We just checked the batteries and they appear to be good. Any ideas? Thanks.
    I had the same thing happen with my foot control. The remote worked find with plenty of speed of the trolling. I changed the batteries in the foot pedal control and it began working fine, The speed worked fine. Called Marine repair (Motor Guide Repair) and they told me that if the batteries get weak it effects the speed control on the pedal. Mine sure has been going through the batteries lately and have made sure to turn the pedal off at the end of the trip..
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

Quote Originally Posted by hekistner View Post
    I had the same thing happen with my foot control. The remote worked find with plenty of speed of the trolling. I changed the batteries in the foot pedal control and it began working fine, The speed worked fine. Called Marine repair (Motor Guide Repair) and they told me that if the batteries get weak it effects the speed control on the pedal. Mine sure has been going through the batteries lately and have made sure to turn the pedal off at the end of the trip..
    Check out the thread on remedy for xi5 foot pedal draining batteries. Since I installed a cutoff switch for the batteries, I have had no issues. Batteries last like they are supposed to.

12. Member
    Last time my TM ran sluggish it turned out to be a corroded wire from my on board charger.

13. Member
    I dropped my Xi5 off at the shop this morning. Gonna get it fixed then sell it.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alabamaphoenix View Post
    Check out the thread on remedy for xi5 foot pedal draining batteries. Since I installed a cutoff switch for the batteries, I have had no issues. Batteries last like they are supposed to.
    My Xi5 is still under warranty till 8/2019 and don't want to do anything that would void the warranty. Sometimes manufacturers look for a reason to cancel their warranty. Does anyone know if the added switch effected their warranty in any way??
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

Motorguide replaced my foot pedal 5 times, under warranty, but all of the pedals drained the batteries. I installed a switch and no more batteries being drained. I think MG would have been happy for the switch to have been installed before they sent 5 pedals. I know i am happy with the switch installed. MG would not and could not do anything to fix the problem. I told MG what I did to remedy the problem, and they asked me to send pictures. The switch installed on the batterie's does nothing different than installing new batteries. When you install new batteries, the pedal turns on automatically.
    Last edited by alabamaphoenix; 01-29-2018 at 10:13 AM.

16. Member
    I also installed the switch that alabamaphoenix is referencing and it resolved the issue with my foot pedal batteries constantly draining. I'm sure that by drilling a hole in the foot pedal case it voided my warranty on the foot pedal, but that's a risk I accepted when I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by mak747 View Post
    I also installed the switch that alabamaphoenix is referencing and it resolved the issue with my foot pedal batteries constantly draining. I'm sure that by drilling a hole in the foot pedal case it voided my warranty on the foot pedal, but that's a risk I accepted when I did it.
    That's the same way I looked at this problem. I was really disappointed that motorguide would not step up and figure out a fix, but i was tired of fooling with batteries constantly. You could probably rig up a short wire to splice in with plug in type terminals, to avoid drilling a hole, but I chose to install the switch. I have had zero issues with batteries draining since the switch was installed. I will worry about the foot pedal being in warranty if I have a different problem.