Slither rig vs. Traditional jig

Anyone throwing a slither rig in place of a traditional jig on a regular basis? I know they tend to be thrown around grass more, but I'm always looking to be more versatile and efficient with equipment. Think that a punch skirt, hooks and worm weights would allow me to cover lightest to heaviest with components rather than a ton of jigs. Mix and match as needed.

The only place that I ever got any confidence with them was punching hydrilla (vertical presentation)
    I have better luck with traditional jigs the rest of the time.. I figured it was due to the action that the jig has .

Tied one on a couple years ago after watching Zona and G slay them up north. I've had one tied on since. Very versatile presentation. Trailer, hook, skirt color, and weight combos are endless.
    Last edited by DROUTLAW; 01-22-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    '00 Gambler Outlaw / \'02 200 EFI

I haven't thrown a regular jig in about 4 years. At first all I did was punch grass with it. One day I was fishing a dock and broke off my jig, so I grabbed my punch rig since it was already rigged and sitting there, and caught the big fish of the tournament. Now I use it flipping docks, cypress trees and any other cover that I would normally pitch a jig to and I've had plenty of success.

5. Member
    Thanks guys

I use my Punching rig for Flipping all the time. I just drop back to a 1/2 - 3/4 ounce weight, and move the bobber stopper as needed.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member
    What about the swinging football jig. The ones with skirt already on it. I just bought one and curious what guys do to make it weedless since obviously it doesnt have weed guard. Just texas rig some type of craw as trailer to make it weedless? Opinions?
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyD26 View Post
    What about the swinging football jig. The ones with skirt already on it. I just bought one and curious what guys do to make it weedless since obviously it doesnt have weed guard. Just texas rig some type of craw as trailer to make it weedless? Opinions?
    Yea. You should be able to just Texas rig a bait on there