Banned

With all the autonomous vehicles?

That are supposed be on the roads in the near future. Shouldn't emergency vehicles have the ability to alert regular vehicles on the road to alert drivers via radio message/APB when they are coming so people would get the F out of the way, especially from behind? All this new technology but with drivers cranking the tunes or on the phone /text and not looking in the mirror. They should address some of these issues first. See it all of the time around here on two lane highways 55+ especially. Maybe they should look at some of these things first before trying to figure out self driving cars that are at minimum 20 years out. Besides who's going to fill them up with fuel?
    Rant over.

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    One of the things which shocked me the most when I started volunteering as an EMT. Not getting out of the way, cutting the ambulance off, running thru intersections almost hitting us. Even had one where the patient was near dying so we were trying to tussle down the road, person would not get over. After a lot of siren and horn about a foot off her bumper she finally gets over and gives us the middle finger as we went by.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

3. Banned
    Exactly Maybe a train horn in the vehicle would help 1 blast means get out of the way 2 means we're coming through

Are autonomous cars going to be able to cope with snow and ice? Detours, construction zones or accident scenes? If "drivers" are suddenly required to takeover, how can their skills be expected to be adequate, when they've just been riding along for some years?

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    20 years out? no. they're already on the roads. You just don't notice them.

As far as emergency vehicles. The car uses it's sensors to identify emergency vehicles. The car can hear the sirens and see the flashing lights from a farther distance, long before any human can. And the car would immediately know which direction the emergency vehicle is coming from and going.

heres an article from last year.
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/11/...ency-vehicles/
    Thanos was the hero

6. Banned
    Yeah definitely 20 years out minimum. Don't forget the human factor /free market will dictate the future of any technology new and old, acceptance means everything.
    Last edited by pa.X19; 01-19-2018 at 07:25 PM.

Maybe 20 years before it become common place but you can go buy a Tesla today that will drive itself. I don't mean simple lane keeping. I mean get you from point A to point B.

As to the OP's question, your talking about some sort of networked communication. There are not enough self driving cars to make that useful at this point but it could in the future. Could greatly reduce congestion because unlike humans they won't drive live selfish asshats and everyone will get there faster. Also, when it become predominant a string of cars autonomous cars could form a train of sort and cruise in close formation. That would reduce drag for all and allow them to operate safely at much higher speeds. Some great opportunities here as long as it doesn't go all Sky Net and force us to blot out the sun.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

8. Member
    I believe Ford has announced they plan to have one in production and for sale in 2019.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    One of the things which shocked me the most when I started volunteering as an EMT. Not getting out of the way, cutting the ambulance off, running thru intersections almost hitting us. Even had one where the patient was near dying so we were trying to tussle down the road, person would not get over. After a lot of siren and horn about a foot off her bumper she finally gets over and gives us the middle finger as we went by.
    EMT's should be allowed to place a piece of boiler plate to the front bumper and can the hammer down. If your to stupid to get over, then you shouldn't be on the road.

They are putting entirely to many gizmos on vehicles these days. Most of them are nothing more than to just make it cost more up front then brake and waste money to fix it only because its tied into something you actually do need.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

12. Member
    I don’t want something totally run by a computer that is going to be mass produced. Computers fail, lock up and get corrupted to easily. Trains, airplanes, ships etc don’t have to allow for as many things as over the road vehicles. Too many variables the geeks can’t account for. Buses in a city maybe. For me I want a steering wheel. At least I control my own destiny, at least try to while driving.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4