Help with shore fishing small ponds in/around Daytona, FL in two weeks

Going down to visit family in two weeks for a long weekend, and my Dad informed me there are a lot of little ponds I can shore fish from right in & around the community my grandparents live in. Going to bring a couple of rods with me, but I've never done any fishing in Florida of any kind. Don't really know what to expect for water temps and all that in the smaller ponds, clarity, etc.

So, looking for feedback/advice from locals down there on what I should bring for tackle. What kind of baits, what colors to go with, etc. I'm likely going to bring down my 7' M or MH rod with one of my reels that has 17 lb flouro on it. I expect that should be more than enough, may even bring down two setups so I can run a 7' M with 15 lb flour and a 7' MH with 17 lb so I'm saving myself retying time. Not sure how much time I will have to do some fishing down there, maybe an hour or two each day at best, but again not sure yet, won't know until I'm there.

Thanks for the help!

2. Member
    You could fish all day with 2 baits. Take your favorite spinner bait and parallel the shore, and get a black trick worm and fish it weightless on a spinning rod. I've caught more fish from the bank with those 2 baits than the rest combined.

3. Member
    Nice, doesn't get any easier than that. Thanks!!

4. Banned
    3" grub on whatever sized light wire hook. Fish braid so you can straighten out the hook if you get snagged. Most everything will eat a fat 3" grub.

Texas rig a red shad worm and walk the bank.

6. Member
    Watch out for gators.

7. Member
    I have a friend that goes to Florida and fishes golf course ponds every year. He regularly catches 6+ pounders.

8. Member
    i would use spinnerbait, big worms, frogs call it a day lol
    2019 RANGER 198P DUAL CONSOLE

The Gun Parlor

9. Member
    Awesome feedback, thanks everyone.

My son lives in a gated community in Jupiter, FL. and there is a 2 acre pond one house away. I have caught a lot of small fish in that pond on my favorite worm on our visits over the last 3 years, mostly flipping it in the rice weeds along the bank or fishing small patches of submerged grass. The largest fish I ever caught there was about 14 inches. I was convinced that there were no big fish there. Well, I was wrong. Soon after I left, my son started fishing a pumpkin green flake Senko and whacking the larger fish. Several 3+ fish and last week a 5.27 pounder. The pumpkin green flake senko has been the best color by far. I think it must imitate the Talapia in the pond. Whatever you do, bring Senkos!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments