Replacing Boat Carpet Question

For those of you who have used DAP Contact Cement to glue the carpet down, does it get all over the gel coat, especially on the front deck area where you have to glue it down and trim after it dries? I’m worried about the glue on the excess carpet that will eventually be trimmed off. I don’t see an issue on the compartments because it’s underneath anyway.

2. Member
    Im interested in this same inquiry

No. I trim my pieces to fit before applying them. You won’t want to do that method of installation for two reasons. The first being the mess you listed and the second being risking a poor cut and having to pull it all up. Dry fit it with no glue as to get perfect fit. Then glue it down.

Everything shoukd be cut to fit fit and then glued down.

4. Member
    I was of the impression that cutting/fitting could be done before the glue is applied, that makes sense. I’m curious about how the glue is applied to underside of carpet.

5. Member
    I did my carpet using both the glue from bassboatseats and dap. I used the dap on lids and smaller vertical sections, and I used the glue on the large flatter surfaces. The glue gives you an additional shot at repositioning. I'm sloppy at this stuff and I had no issue with the dap on gel coat. Keep acetone close and pay attention to any slip ups. If you get it while it's still somewhat wet it seems to come off well.

Quote Originally Posted by 90bumblebee View Post
    I was of the impression that cutting/fitting could be done before the glue is applied, that makes sense. I’m curious about how the glue is applied to underside of carpet.
    In my experience, I have found that even if you precut the carpet you will still have to do a final trim. It seems the carpet stretches a little when it hits the glue.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by 90bumblebee View Post

Gotcha. Just turn it over and brush on liberally.

8. Member
    I used DAP weldwood for my carpet job, and I found it easy to work with. If you make a mess on the gelcoat, just use some acetone or goo-gone to clean it off.

9. Member
    As mentioned above, cut to fit perfect first. No mess with using the DAP. I have replaced carpet on two bass boats, never had to trim a piece on any boat after gluing.

10. Member
    I have done many bass boats with DAP and it is great stuff. As mentioned above, I pre-cut to fit. It is easier with the lids as all of the excess goes under and can be trimmed. I used the gel last time and applied with a wide plastic scraper and it left the adhesive on the heavy side. I will use a cheap brush when I do the next one. Actually a few cheap brushes. Take your time. Pay attention to detail and it will look great.

11. Member
    I used Roberts 6700 outdoor carpet glue. Seems okay. Used goof off for clean up
    I don't always find schooling fish but when I do I backlash on the first cast