Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need advice on a Florida bass fishing trip

Thinking about going down to FL for a long weekend with my teenage son. Number one goal would be to get him the biggest bass of his life. I'm fine with shiner fishing if that's what it takes but would also like to use artificials. Probably looking at two full days with a guide, maybe in March. It would be bonus if we could see some gators!

what lake should we be looking at?

any guide recs?

So far, I'm kinda leaning towards Lake Okeechobee but would appreciate some recs. thanks!
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

2. Member
    Stick Marsh

3. Member

4. Member
    I would go to Seminole. Stay at Big Jims fish camp. Fishing will be on fire then.

5. Member
    Talk to Chuck Pippin, he's a guide at both Toho and Butler chain. Fun guy to fish with, really knows his stuff down there.

www.chucksguideservice.com
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

6. Derek McCullough
    Camp Mack and you have plenty of good lakes to fish in that area #1 being Kissimmee

7. Member
    Awesome guys. Thanks for the tips. I did some research on some of the lakes you guys mentioned. Stick Marsh sounds like we could have a great chance at good numbers and fish over 5lbs. My son has struggled to catch a largemouth bigger than about 3.5 lbs so far. Would love to get him on one bigger than 5! He’s already got several 4+ smallies though. I need to find a way to get down to Stick Marsh this spring!

8. Member
    Kissimmee beyond a doubt.

9. Member
    Which place (Stick Marsh or Kissimmee) would be the least affected by wind? I’ll have to pick a weekend to head down there and will have to live with the weather regardless of what it is.

10. Member
    You've got a good shot at one over 5lbs on any of those lakes that time of year. If you go to Seminole, look up Matt Baty. Also, any lake in Florida, if the sun's out, you'll see plenty of gators.

11. Member
    Seriously, your best bet at a big Bass is hitting as many golf course and apt. complex ponds as you can. The last time I went to Florida I fished with a guide and caught some nice fish. I fished the golf course ponds where we were staying and caught way more and bigger fish. If you know what your doing and don't mind getting up early or fishing late before everyone is out and about and know how to Bass fish, you will catch some lunker's. Just sayin'

12. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Bienville Plantation!! Ask to fish With Captain Phillip Turwitt.

13. Member
    I was down on Okeechobee last week on the North end and the vegetation is largely dead and water looked like chocolate Milk all the way up to dry land. The high water in combination with spraying that happened on the north end prior to September high water did it in. I recommended a guy going this week go to Kissimmie. I don't see the small areas I fished in Okeechobee recovering this spring. I'm told south end is better but still, go elsewhere.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

14. Member
    Right now Lake Seminole is showing big. Two weeks ago in ABA top 3 was 28+, 27+, 27+. This past weekend in the Reel Money Trail top 3 was 33, 28, 26 and 12th was 22+. It's been this way for a while. Matt Baty Guide Service can help you. If you want his number let me know.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlFedAngler View Post
    Right now Lake Seminole is showing big. Two weeks ago in ABA top 3 was 28+, 27+, 27+. This past weekend in the Reel Money Trail top 3 was 33, 28, 26 and 12th was 22+. It's been this way for a while. Matt Baty Guide Service can help you. If you want his number let me know.
    What is Seminole like? How does it fish? Is it also a good numbers Lake?

16. Member
    It's basically two rivers systems ( Flint and Chattahoochee River) that come together to form the lake. Lots of grass and wood. They are catching plenty right now. But you know fishing can be.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    Talk to Chuck Pippin, he's a guide at both Toho and Butler chain. Fun guy to fish with, really knows his stuff down there.

www.chucksguideservice.com
    Yes on Chuck pippins, he came and picked me up in the morning right at the resort , went to Toho
    2007 Z21 / 250 VMAX HPDI

18. Member
    For big bass go to Kissimmee or Toho..use a guide if not familiar with area. Okeechobee to me the big ones over 8 lbs are harder to come by, but u can catch alot..just my 2 cents

19. Member
    Big O is fishing really small right now, between the high water, spraying and the hurricane a lot of the grass and cover is gone. Just returned from 3 weeks and returning later and will fish some other lakes as well.

20. Member
    Seminole

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast