Thread: Did I screw up?

Did I screw up?

I am really new to all this new technology. I have a Helix 10 MEGA, did the latest update. Reset the unit to defaults like the update suggests. Now all my way points are gone off the unit. I do not have the boat at the moment to connect the unit with the transducer. I have a power cable at the house. I have downloaded the base map on the prior update and I have my home lake on chart select. So did I lose all my way points in the unit? I do not see them on my SD card either. I would have thought that HB would have said something about backing up all the way points and how to do that. Any help and info appreciated.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. Member
    Resetting defaults should not delete your waypoints, but best to keep copies on a computer just in case AND I don't leave any memory cards in the unit (except for the one the update is on) while doing the update.

However, a reset can be done that will delete way points and stuff, but I don't remember how it's worded at the moment... factory reset or something. If you hit that by chance you could have lost them.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

3. Member
    When doing updates the instructions will have you Restore Defaults which is under Setup Menu. It is usually good to also Restore Defaults after the update even though I believe the updates do that. There are only two ways of removing the waypoints from the unit either by deleting them under Waypoint Management menu or by "Format Nav Directory" which is on the Setup Menu. Once you have deleted them by either then they are gone. Sometimes the Nav data can also be corrupted which can cause loss. Always good to keep a backup.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    "Format Nav Directory"
    That's what I couldn't think of when I posted.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI