Thread: jerkbait rods

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This comes to mind:
    ALX Rods EXPERT Series Kelley Jaye Jerkbait Rod - 6'9", 3/8 - 3/4oz, 8-18#, Fast, Med+
    Designed in conjunction with Elite Series Pro and jerkbait expert Kelley Jaye, the Jaye Jerkbait rod provides the perfect platform for presenting jerkbaits from the 90 to 130 sizes. The short handle and overall length pairs perfectly with the tip down walking and jerking motions used on ever popular jerkbaits – no more hitting the deck or slapping your forearm while trying to work a bait. The rod has an 80/20 tip and allows you to work a bait without huge tiring strokes. The Jaye Jerkbait rod has quickly performed with a 5th place finish on the Elite series – and being the ONLY rod on the deck of Kelley’s boat for that finish.

• Average Rod Weight: 4.25 oz
    • Handle Length: 8.5″
    • Number of Guides: 9 (2 Double Foot, 7 Single Foot)
    • Kigan Master Hand ZDH 3D stripper guides with Z Series 3D running guides with braid resistant inserts
    • Mid Micro guide train for all around fishability
    • Handbuilt in OUR Aiken, South Carolina rod building plant
    • Backed by a 10 Year Warranty and SureSet Replacement Service

2. Member
    Anyone use the 6'6" medium Fenwick Elite Tech casting rod for jerkbaits?

3. Member
    Find a good rod builder and have one made that suits you. I'm currently having one made now. In 6 to 12 weeks, I'll have it in my hands. I fish jerkbaits year round.

4. Member
    I've been looking at the Hammer 6'9 MH.

I know a lot of companies have a "topwater/jerkbait" model. What type of line would you even use to make this an effective dual purpose rod? Mono?

5. Scraps
    http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Powel...page-PNOS.html

This one works. I use the same rod in the 3D lineup. I wish I could get a 7ft rod for jerks but they don't have anything that would work.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njbasscat View Post
    Find a good rod builder and have one made that suits you. I'm currently having one made now. In 6 to 12 weeks, I'll have it in my hands. I fish jerkbaits year round.
    That's the idea, but before I commit to a custom, I need to ensure I know what I actually want... Right now, I only know what I don't exactly want and I feel like that isn't quite the best way to get the right custom rod made lol

7. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adam lancia View Post
    Anyone use the 6'6" medium Fenwick Elite Tech casting rod for jerkbaits?
    YES.... I love it!! here is the one I use...and less than $100 on sale.
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...-rod?a=1890817

• Item Number: 658139MODEL #: ETB66M-FC
    • Type: Casting
    • Length: 6'6"
    • Pieces: 1
    • Blank: Graphite
    • Power: Medium
    • Action: Fast
    • Grip: TAC/EVA
    • Guides: 9
    • Line Rating: 8-14 lbs.
    • Lure Rating: 3/8-5/8

8. Member
    am using the St. Croix Mojo 6'8 (MJC68MF) jerkbait rod.

Just dont throw enough

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    This comes to mind:
    ALX Rods EXPERT Series Kelley Jaye Jerkbait Rod - 6'9", 3/8 - 3/4oz, 8-18#, Fast, Med+
    Designed in conjunction with Elite Series Pro and jerkbait expert Kelley Jaye, the Jaye Jerkbait rod provides the perfect platform for presenting jerkbaits from the 90 to 130 sizes. The short handle and overall length pairs perfectly with the tip down walking and jerking motions used on ever popular jerkbaits – no more hitting the deck or slapping your forearm while trying to work a bait. The rod has an 80/20 tip and allows you to work a bait without huge tiring strokes. The Jaye Jerkbait rod has quickly performed with a 5th place finish on the Elite series – and being the ONLY rod on the deck of Kelley’s boat for that finish.

• Average Rod Weight: 4.25 oz
    • Handle Length: 8.5″
    • Number of Guides: 9 (2 Double Foot, 7 Single Foot)
    • Kigan Master Hand ZDH 3D stripper guides with Z Series 3D running guides with braid resistant inserts
    • Mid Micro guide train for all around fishability
    • Handbuilt in OUR Aiken, South Carolina rod building plant
    • Backed by a 10 Year Warranty and SureSet Replacement Service
    Been looking at this rod for some time now, Im really impressed with the ALX rods and am thinking about switching my arsenal over to them.
    2017 Phoenix 919 ProXP 225 Mercury ProXS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassinKS22 View Post
    Been looking at this rod for some time now, Im really impressed with the ALX rods and am thinking about switching my arsenal over to them.
    I actually just bought this rod used from here. If you are wanting to see it in person let me know. I'm over in manhattan every once in awhile.

7' 0" Kistler Helium III Light/MH Fast

12. Member
    If you ever come across a discontinued Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth rod, 6'3" M-MF casting rod, grab it!!!! I have one and wish I would have bought 3 when I had the chance, it is rated 1/4oz to 5/8oz and is possibly the best jerkbait/topwater rod I ever used, perfect action. I don't know how true it is but a friend told me his Abu Garcia Ike Delay series 6'4" is a really good jerkbait rod and I believe him since he got a second one.

13. Member
    Spent yesterday throwing Vision 110 on staging points at Lay Lake.
    1st trip out with ALX Jerkbait rod.VERY Impressed with how it handled the bait
    and the fish,Including a 5.4 spot!!
    I have fished the 6'9" Hammer mentioned above, but really liked the ALX better.
    I fish jerkbaits ALOT and this Rod was spot on for what I want in Jerkbait rod.

I have tried about 8 different rods for Jerkbaits and narrowed it down to the ALX and
    IROD AIR 692 or 702.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitcher View Post
    Spent yesterday throwing Vision 110 on staging points at Lay Lake.<br>
    1st trip out with ALX Jerkbait rod.VERY Impressed with how it handled the bait <br>
    and the fish,Including a 5.4 spot!!<br>
    I have fished the 6'9" Hammer mentioned above, but really liked the ALX better.<br>
    I fish jerkbaits ALOT and this Rod was spot on for what I want in Jerkbait rod.<br>
    <br>
    I have tried about 8 different rods for Jerkbaits and narrowed it down to the ALX and<br>
    IROD AIR 692 or 702.
    Do you fish with braid and a leader, or straight mono/fluoro (and what #)? Do you prefer a faster or slower tip? I'm just trying to get an idea of what kind of jerkbait rod you prefer. Thanks!
    Last edited by adam lancia; 02-07-2018 at 11:18 AM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I wish I could get a 7ft rod for jerks but they don't have anything that would work.
    Powell Max 702cef

16. Member
    10-12 mono,occasionally flourocarbon if more depth needed
    Both are medium power with fast tip.Both have shorter handles so it doesn't catch in clothes.

17. Member
    I have been using a Razr rod 6'3" ML. Love the ML will not let the fish pull those little sharp as hell hooks out.

Maybe a little shorter than you like. G. Loomis CR722 6' medium. Great little rod. I've got one over here in Topeka.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    7' 0" Kistler Helium III Light/MH Fast
    Sssshhhhhhh

20. Member
    If you are considering going custom you can do and factor in a lot of things. First thing you need to determine is length. The taller you are the more length you can get, consider also how you work your jerkbait. Some have a tip down cadence while others pull to the side. It's important to think about this, you don't want to hit the boat or the water with your tip, too long of a rod will do that to you. I have built a number of rods in the 6'6 to 6'8 range, with varying actions and power. Remener you want a tip with some response, too much of a parabolic action or slower action can really have you hurting by the end of the day, these actions to me are too slow and not responsive enough for a jerkbait. Fast action is a solid compromise, along with a medium powered blank. I personally really like a 6'8 but that's because I am slightly taller work tip down and feel the extra couple inches gives me some better castability. The other thing I would recommend is a shorter handle. The distance from the reel seat to the butt grip should be shorter to reduce risk of banging off your body or getting the butt stuck in a hoodie pocket etc... Too short and u hurt the balance. I also do not like a foregrip on my jerkbait rods.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast