Thread: jerkbait rods

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

jerkbait rods

So I've been searching for another jerkbait rod, the rod I use right now is the Loomis TWR 802c. I use this for both topwater and jerkbaits but I have been searching for a good jerkbait only rod, the problem I am running into is no one makes one short enough for my liking....I'm not a short person but I really prefer a shorter rod for jerkbaits because I like a straight down popping action and do not like when I am constantly slapping the water. So my question is what is everyone using for their jerkbait rod and does anyone know of a good rod in the 6'2" to 6'6" length preferably a M fast?
    2017 Phoenix 919 ProXP 225 Mercury ProXS

2. Member
    I built my own from a MHX blank from Mudhole Tackle.
    MB782-MHX 6'-6" / 8-14# line / 3/16 - 5/8 oz lures / medium power / fast action

3. Member
    Abu Garcia "Ike Delay Series". 6'4" jerkbait rod. Love it and it's cheap.
    -Matt

4. Member
    +2 on the IKE Delay jerkbait rod
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

5. Member
    I feel like jerkbait rods are the ones that there is the most variation between what a person considers the perfect Rod more than any other technique.
    I do tend to Fish A jerkbait A lot it is one of my go-to baits.... and talking to others that fishing a lot there literally guys that like rods all the way from a phoenix extend that is very soft and parabolic to guys that like extra fast action. Part of it also has to do if you prefer to throw it on mono, fluro or braid but at the end of the day there's a big difference in how that bait acts and how guys like it to feel when move the bait... between a moderate rod and an extra fast as I know virtually no other technique that people claim the perfect Rod is anywhere in the action Spectrum.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

6. Member
    If you don’t want to go the custom route, I would suggest looking at Japanlureshops.com or other JDM sites. Their rods are typically shorter in length in the JDM market and you will be more likely to find something in your needs.

I have never used this rod personally but have friends that have models in this lineup who can’t stop raving about them. I’d look at the Megabass XXX F4-65K (6’5”). This model is called the 110 stick for obvious reasons. If it handles anything like my XX jerkbait special (6’8”), it will be everything you are looking for. Just note that tapers are a little different in the JDM market.

I believe Gary at the tackle trap may be able to shed some light on the tapers and maybe even this rod. They import and warranty MB rods forom japan from what I understand.

7. Member
    I'm using a Loomis IMX Pro 783 CBR. It's a 6'6" M power.

8. Member
    I have an imx jerkbait rod and love it..
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

Dobyns Champion XP 634cb would be perfect for 110 size baits. I use the 684cb and love it. If you wanted more power they have both rods in a 5 power also.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    I have never used this rod personally but have friends that have models in this lineup who can’t stop raving about them. I’d look at the Megabass XXX F4-65K (6’5”). This model is called the 110 stick for obvious reasons. If it handles anything like my XX jerkbait special (6’8”), it will be everything you are looking for. Just note that tapers are a little different in the JDM market.

I believe Gary at the tackle trap may be able to shed some light on the tapers and maybe even this rod. They import and warranty MB rods forom japan from what I understand.
    i have been eyeballing this rod for a while. would love some feedback on it

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

11. Member
    Fenwick HMG 6'6" M. They're $99 too.
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!

Quote Originally Posted by jbabin76 View Post
    i have been eyeballing this rod for a while. would love some feedback on it

X2
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    If you don’t want to go the custom route, I would suggest looking at Japanlureshops.com or other JDM sites. Their rods are typically shorter in length in the JDM market and you will be more likely to find something in your needs.

I have the X4 Oneten stick and it is outstanding. I'm sure the XXX would be as well.

14. Member
    IMX or GLX 782 or 842 MBR

15. Member
    I bought the Daiwa Elite Seth Feider 6'9" jerkbait rod back in April & absolutely love it.
    Grest tip on this rod!

16. Member
    Abu Garcia Ike 6'4" delay is the cats meow.

IMX 812C JBR

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by autigerbass View Post
    I have the X4 Oneten stick and it is outstanding. I'm sure the XXX would be as well.

These re are also good options, and can also pull double duty with lots of other techniques.

19. Member
    The Hammer 6-9 Medium is a good one. I went through a few including most all of the shorter Loomis cranking rods.

20. Member
    Might want to check out this one
    http://www.alxrods.com/product/twitch/
    BBC sponsor and made in USA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast