Smallmouth Junkie!

Question Best time of year to fish Burt & Mullet for Samllmouth?

I have recently been offered access to a cottage on Mullett Lake and would like to hear suggestions as to the best time of year to fish for numbers and size? I assume spring but what s the best 2 weeks?

And any tips on which lake to concentrate on would also be appreciated. My Wife and I are really looking forward to it

Thanks in advance!
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

Personally, I'd go before bass season opens... Those lakes get hammered ever since MLF did their shows on them. Many tournaments every week...

Have fun.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Last week of May and the first two weeks of June is prime time, as stated above there are a few tourney's in June.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Personally, I'd go before bass season opens... Those lakes get hammered ever since MLF did their shows on them. Many tournaments every week...

Have fun.
    MLF fished Burt and Mullett? I knew they did the Alpena area several times.

5. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post

Have fun.
    I was leaning toward the last week in May but would you suggest even earlier? Before Memorial Day?

6. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosmich View Post
    Last week of May and the first two weeks of June is prime time, as stated above there are a few tourney's in June.
    I know of one first weekend in June and the following weekend IIRC. I'm thinking middle to the end of May. Wife and I fished Hubbard last year in the middle of June and caught some of the Mayfly hatch. We did okay but not so hot on size. Such a beautiful lake.

I'd try to avoid the crowds... That is just me. I don't mind fishing early with jerkbaits and blade baits.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

8. Member
    May will treat you right. It looks like at least three major tourney's within the first two weeks of June.

We stay on the river for a week every summer, i fish Mullett only. Just because its closest to the cabin. Fish can be caught all year long, just have to find em. I dont recall the mlf episode either, would love to see it. That being said, i cant recall more than a few fish that ive ever caught having hook marks in thier mouth, and maybe see 6 bass boats all week long throughout the entire chain. I fish early and late in the day and find that best for the time of year we go. Lots of water to fish!

10. Member
    Normally I would say the first full moon around June1st... that said, and as shared above, this year there are two major tournaments the first couple week of June and will likely be quite busy. They are huge lakes and can support the traffic but there will be significantly more traffic. If I was going this year, I'll probably target the weekend before and after Memorial Day. Either way, you can't go wrong... it's a beautiful lake with great fishing.

11. Member
    First two weekends of June this year is the PayBack Bass tourney and then BFL and Federations tourneys. Plus there is usually a club or two up here around that time, plus all the people who come just to fish. Burt and Mullett are going to be hammered this year more so than usual. If I were you I'd head to some of the nearby, less pressured lakes like Crooked, Pickerel, Douglas, Black, Walloon just to name a few. Or look at Lake Charlevoix. Another great lake with no scheduled big tourneys, but, that lake also sees a ton of pressure.

Usually as stated the end of May into the middle of June are the prime times, depending on the thaw, etc.

MLF never fished Burt and Mullett (at least not to my knowledge). They have been to the Alpena area three years now. Ultimate Match Fishing was filmed here several years ago. Several other shows have been filmed in the area including stops by Zona, KVD, Fishing University, and probably another one or two I'm forgetting.

Anytime from a week after ice out through the middle of June is prime time. That time of year your going to have bass anglers from everywhere on all the lakes up there. A lot of TV shows and web forums have drawn a lot of pressure up there over the years. Nothing we can do about that. Just go and have fun and catch what you can.