Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5th battery location

I posted earlier with a questions on how to mount two units at the dash. It has been brought to my attention that i may want to think about adding an additional battery to power the new electronic. Currently i have a three batteries (36v Ultrex) and one cranking battery for the two units and dual power poles. I was told that running 3 units and the power poles off one cranking battery is not a good idea. If I add a fifth battery I am not sure there would be room in the back for it...... 5 batteries, power pole pumps, oil reservoir, charger. Do you all think it is really necessary and if you have done it I would love some advice. Also i only have a 4 bank charge. Any help?

-Kurt

2. Member
    I would absolutely do it. Just returned from Florida fish with a buddy for 10 days straight and he had to jump his boat one of those days. We weren’t fighting wind/current or running livewells. He simply just ran out of juice. He basically has the same setup at you but with four graphs running along with everything else on the cranking minus the Ultrex on their own three batteries.

3. Member
    Yeah. That is what i was afraid of. Thanks... now to figure out how to fit it all in.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    How big and what brand is that starting battery??
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I run 4 HDS units, sonic hub, 3d structure scan, poles, hyd plate, 3 gopros, and a few other gadgets, and at night about 100 leds
    so far I cant kill this battery

but nothing wrong with running a pair of matched batteries if you have room
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

6. Member
    I am not sure. I will look next time get my boat out of storage.

7. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    I run 4 HDS units, sonic hub, 3d structure scan, poles, hyd plate, 3 gopros, and a few other gadgets, and at night about 100 leds

agree, awsome battery and all you need
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

8. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    You could just put one, or both units in "standby" mode when you're up front fishing.
    It turns off the screen and switches the unit(s) to low power mode.

9. Member
    Sorry to jump on your boards, but been fishing if Florida for 20 plus years and have never had a problem running all my stuff including livewell all day. IMO battery care and proper charging. If you have lowrance electronics (don't know hummingbird) you can add display of the volts from your cranking battery to your display. If it gets below 11 and change crank up the big motor. In addition, I travel with a portable charging system (many brands) that will charge everything quickly if needed.

10. Member
    If you're running a quality group 31 cranking battery you should be fine. Put the console units in standby when you're fishing and add a jump switch for just in case plus piece of mind.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    If you're running a quality group 31 cranking battery you should be fine. Put the console units in standby when you're fishing and add a jump switch for just in case plus piece of mind.
    Was thinking the same thing about a investing in a higher quality group 31 and add a jump switch.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

12. Member
    I have a very similar setup with 3 Helix 12s, powerpoles, Oxygenator’s, and hydro wave. I switched all my batteries to Odyssey group 31 agms and have zero issues. Batteries are one cranking and 3 for trolling motor. Have had the boat for about 7 months and haven’t ran them dead yet. Plenty of days using Ultrex with spot lock for extended period of times as well. I don’t think you need 5 batteries you just need to upgrade to the best group 31 agms.
    Last edited by laposta28; 01-19-2018 at 06:15 PM.

13. Member
    I guess a question that has been asked is size and brand of cranking battery. I want to know that too because when I ordered mine I insisted to my dealerr that I wanted a high capacity 31 Cranking batter. Turns out that is what they put on anyway but have seen some dealers skimp on the batteries. I run 2 HDS 9, 1 HDS12, Radio, Lights, Hydrowave, etc. Never a issue. I also have jump start system that Andy has as well.
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

14. Member

Unfortunately, I killed one in six months of nominal use. They did replace it so hopefully its better this time. I moved all accessories to a master switch so hopefully this resolves issue.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Unfortunately, I killed one in six months of nominal use. They did replace it so hopefully its better this time. I moved all accessories to a master switch so hopefully this resolves issue.
    I had one that started having issues after almost 2 years, they replaced it. Other than that it is an awesome battery.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

16. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdendy View Post
    I guess a question that has been asked is size and brand of cranking battery. I want to know that too because when I ordered mine I insisted to my dealerr that I wanted a high capacity 31 Cranking batter. Turns out that is what they put on anyway but have seen some dealers skimp on the batteries. I run 2 HDS 9, 1 HDS12, Radio, Lights, Hydrowave, etc. Never a issue. I also have jump start system that Andy has as well.
    Picking up my 920 soon and you are right about dealers skimping. I asked mine few weeks ago and he said he installs 27’s and I said no way so getting 31’s now
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

31 are absolutely necessary these days and I highly recommend putting a lithium jump start batt in you boat. They are small light weight and you can get many starts out of them. Also handy when you need to jump another guys boat and safer than snaking hot leads from trollers to cranking batts. I have seen guys kill the 31’s too but “usually” something is going wrong with them at that point.

one tip for conserving battery power - if you don’t need the screens on highest brightness then turn them down. It’s amazing how you can cut energy consumption by 30-50% just by changing the brightness setting from 10 to 8!
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

18. Moderator
    I added a 5th battery, mount a tray right beside the cranking battery and ran jumper wires across. I ran 10 guage at first but ended up going with 8 guage later on. When it’s time to replace the cranking battery I will try that x2. I (like a lot of others) run a lot of gadgets.

19. Member
    I just ordered ordered the X2 and will give it a try. Thanks for all the replies

How long have you had that battery? The model number on their website is the different than the one in the picture. Also, no matter the type, deep cycle, dual,purpose or starting the group 31 is the same model. SL131AGMDPM. Maybe they just moved the M to the end this year. None the less I too run this as my starting/electronics battery and irs been great so far!
    https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...1m/sli31agmdpm

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast