Garmin EchoMap and Striker Image Quality Issue

Can anyone suggest or guide me on display settings for Garmin fish finders. I have an Echomap sv and striker sv. I had a shop install the transducer for the echomap and the striker is up front on the bow. However I cannot seem to see any structure with the graphs. I usually just see a flat bottom and some line marks randomly in between I have gone over areas where I know structure is and even over bridge tee and the graph just appears to show a flat bottom with no structure. This is in down and side imagine. I have attached 3 screen shots from the console and one of the striker on the bow, sorry for the grainy image the sun was out in full effect. They both appear to be picking up interference which makes viewing the screen for structure frustrating. I set interference and surface noise to low but that didn't seem to change the display. I keep thinking it might be the transducer placement but the striker which has the transducer on my trolling motor is mirroring the same issue. I forgot to mess around with the gain, would lowering that possible help reduce the noise that the graph is picking up? The one image from the striker is directly in between a bridge pylon over a tee. It appears to show the tee almost 3d version but you can still see the streaks of clutter that follow. Thanks for any suggesting

2. Banned
    Wow, never seen anything like that.

Maybe put the 2d frequency on each unit different?

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Looks like a bunch of fish/bait fish to me....especially the last pic....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Banned
    Ya the last pic is like its stationary

but that first pic....I thought maybe weeds, but there's some odd angles in there

5. Banned
    what lake is it? Looks like some bait fish to me...

6. Member
    Sorry for the not so great screen shots it was a sunny day when I took them and I was fighting the glare on my camera and the graph. All screen shots are off Ceder Creek lake. The first three are off my echo map I have on the console and the last is off the striker that I have on the bow that has transducer on the trolling motor. The first three screen shots do look like large bait fish spools but unfortunately I get this image everywhere I go on the lake, it seems to be noise static I am always picking up so I can never get a clean screen to view for structure. The last image is from the striker on the bowl and I went directly over a bridge tee so that I knew I was on structure. I can make out the tee to the left of the picture but all the images 3/4 to the right of the screen are always there, the wavy lines. I has a shop install the transducer for the echomap and originally thought they may have picked a bad spot but the striker is doing the same thing with the transducer on the trolling motor. I have tried to change a few settings but nothing seems to clear the screen up. Transducer pics below.

7. Banned
    nothing wrong with that installation that I can see.

Are you running both units at the same time?

8. Member
    I did the first time out but read that the transducer may be canceling each other out so the last few times out I have made sure to only have one on at a time, the image got a little better but the screen shots where with only one on at a time. I have been trying to read through the forum and pick up ideals I may be overlooking the only thing I have really found different from what others are doing is I have had the units in auto depth rather than targeting the depth level I am fishing. I am itching to go back out once the weather warms up and hopes this may help but really cant see that being the problem. Thanks for the comment on the install this is my first high def graph so was a little worried about the placement of the transducer.

I have read that if the power cable and the transducer share the same pull through location the power needs to be shielded to isolate noise being drawn into the transducer signal, is that correct? Mine are currently ran close to one another with no shield.

Pics look normal to me

10. Member
    You own an iPhone or iPad? Bluetooth it and takes screenshots or video....much better than photographing your display.