Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pellet gun enthusiasts please.

I am wanting a hard hitting .22 caliber break action rifle for small game like squirrels, rabbits, and pigeons. I also am looking for accuracy. If you have suggestions for me to look into please add info. (Rifle and pellets you find that match up the best). Trying to reduce noise some instead of shooting a rimfire and be safer around houses. Not illegal to shoot rimfire, just safety on my concern.

Also please add distance you are accurate (as in groups around the size of a quarter of possible).

Thanks in advance.
    Praying for a Cure

No enthusiast but I have the Gamo maxim Hornet .22 and its shoots well enough for me at 30 yards. Seems the first shot will not group but the rest do fine. It'll wreak havoc on small game and is quiet too. Scopes are terrible though
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Sent you a PM

4. Member
    Beeman R9 is a great break barrel. You can easily shoot squirrels up to 40 yrds. You will need a scope though, at least i do and most R9's don't come with sights.

5. Banned
    Need an FX Impact

6. Member
    Pellet guns are not particularly quiet unless they have some sort of ‘modulation’ device on them. I have owned a fair number over the years and most will give good accuracy to probably 50 yards before power and pellet drop get silly. The PCP (Pre Charged Pneumatic) can be very accurate and powerful but are three to four times the cost. The ‘key’ with a pellet gun is finding a pellet it likes.
    I also have two RWS Diana break barrels. One in .177 and one in 22. I prefer the 22 but the .177 does good as well.

7. Member
    if you want a PCP this one is great... I love mine

https://www.airgundepot.com/umarex-g...synthetic.html

8. Member
    I've got a 22 caliber Benjamin with the Nitro Piston 2. At 20 yards it will go all the way through squirrell head. I changed the scope out to a better one and it's pretty accurate. The Crosman domed magnum pellet shoots pretty consistent. I've recently started using the Crosman copper plated domed magnums. The copper plated shoots a little better I think.
    2014 ZX190, 175 HPDI
    HELIX 10 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryg View Post
    I've got a 22 caliber Benjamin with the Nitro Piston 2. At 20 yards it will go all the way through squirrell head. I changed the scope out to a better one and it's pretty accurate. The Crosman domed magnum pellet shoots pretty consistent. I've recently started using the Crosman copper plated domed magnums. The copper plated shoots a little better I think.
    I have been happy with the Benjamin. Accurate with plenty of power for taking care of varmints around the property.

10. Member
    I have a Gamo Big Cat 177 cal, shooting Crosman hollow point hunting pellets. It drives nails to about 35 yards. The scope on it is not too hot though, but I knew that when I bought it. If I had it to do over, I would go with a 22 cal.

Gamo has a pellet that will shoot at a velocity of 1200 fps, but you lose some accuracy with it, and you get a distinctive crack when it's fired. I just stick with the Crosmans.

11. Member
    what is a decent scope to put on a pellet gun?
    "Stay thirsty my friends"

12. Member
    X2 on the Benjamin.

13. Member
    if you are sure it has to a bb the most common one would be something from walmart which should stay at walmart ! but if you want one that will last,you would want something like an weihrauch hw 95, or the beeman r9 , they are both the same usually the r9 does not have iron sites but the new ones listed from pyramyd air site does have them. air guns of Arizona has the hw 95 on sale ,both are excellent guns but both actually need to have a pro tune (a lube a delrin guide and a trigger polish) to make them super sweet, there is another option, the rws 34 it is close to the both of these and is just as good. a good place to start your search would be strait shooters web site they list most of the popular guns and the best reviews for which pellet perform the best at each distance, i usually shoot JSB diablo jumbo but here lately the air arms diablo field seem to be a little better. the main thing with a bb is to make sure if it is a 22 cal shoot at least a 14 to 16 grain pellet and NEVER shoot a lightweight under that. once you learn the springer hold you will absolutely become a kid again with your new toy,
    let the gun choose the pellet, buy a sampler pack and see what brand the gun likes
    Last edited by rao; 01-18-2018 at 10:03 PM.

14. Member
    For quiet look at a PCP. The new Umarex Gaunlet is the bomb.
    For a break action get an RWS 34 or a 600 magnum.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl320V View Post
    if you are talking a pneumatic it can be anything from walmart but if it is a springer , then it needs to springer rated, all of the HAWK lineup in 33 tube is springer rated noe of the one inch, you can look at the straight shooters site and under the scope selection it will tell you what is springer rated..........but be prepared to pay for it

I have an old .22 Brake Barrel pellet rife...called the Minute Man....My x FIL gave it to me about 15 years ago...He shot dinner with it many times when he was a boy...It's in great shape...I have never fired it.....

17. Member
    I have a 22 cal Benjamin and it does ok, but you have to pump it up for velocity. The gamo's are much easier to use, but if you are older and losing strength the gamo can be challenging to break the barrel down. Don't buy a rifle scope for a Benjamin, buy a scope designed for a pellet gun.

18. Member
    I have a Hatsun 22 caliber break over & it will shoot pretty well. The worst thing about this style air rifle is it’s weight. They are heavy.

19. Banned
    I've had terrible luck with pellet guns. Spent a bunch of money buying cheap ones. None shot worth a darn. I found that these are accurate and quieter than any strong pellet gun.

20. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl320V View Post
    I have a BSA Essential (air gun scope) 3x9x40 A.O. on my Gamo Silent Cat. Terrific scope. I have shot thousands of rounds through this rifle and the scope has not budged off zero. The scopes that come packaged with the guns are awful. I’ve had 3, and none of them was worth a nickel. Get a good air gun scope, with top quality mounts, or don’t bother. My Gamo is a .177, shoots within 1/2 inch every shot at 35 yards, and has killed squirrels out to 90 yards. Also will take out a raccoon; just takes a few more hits.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast