Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Self driving cars

What happens when snow or ice covers the road?

It stays in the garage and refuses to go out.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

3. Banned
    Yeah! Big brother pushes a button and shuts them down

4. Member
    Everyone stays home.

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    First, the car would drive a lower speeds. It wouldn't over compensate like most human drivers do. The car has the ability to control each wheel independently and can adjust power to the wheels and react to changing conditions with micro second reaction. Even older traction control technology works very well.

Anything you can do, the computer can do better. The car would recognize and adjust to changing conditions before the human driver even blinked.
    Thanos was the hero

I stick with me driving and not the car.

Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    First, the car would drive a lower speeds. It wouldn't over compensate like most human drivers do. The car has the ability to control each wheel independently and can adjust power to the wheels and react to changing conditions with micro second reaction. Even older traction control technology works very well.

Anything you can do, the computer can do better. The car would recognize and adjust to changing conditions before the human driver even blinked.
    How would it know where the lines are or the ditch if it all was white?

8. Member
    Is it going to have the little buttons all around the car like the park sense on my truck? If it does they better figure out how to keep them clean in the snow, slush and mud. I turned mine off because they always said I was to close just because they were cover with a film of road sludge.

9. Member
    Does it know how to say oh S#@t at the appropriate time?

10. Banned
    Self driving cars is all about control of the population.

11. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    How would it know where the lines are or the ditch if it all was white?

How do you know where the lines are or a ditch is? You use vision. The car uses vision, radar, infrared, gps. Humans have a field of view of 120 degrees and can only see as far as the object in front of them is. The car can see 360 degrees all the time and they also use a form of radar to see in front of objects that are directly in front of them.

There's no secret formula to driving in adverse weather. The problem is that humans are limited in what we are able to monitor, how quickly we can react and what we can do in terms of controlling the car.
    Thanos was the hero

12. Member
    Will they program the one's for Michigan to say Hold my beer and watch this!!!!!LOL

Too many hackers out there.

14. Member
    I would think on ice it is a guaranteed wreck. Never really considered it. Does the human set speed of does a computer GPS speeds?
    Praying for a Cure

So if I'm drunk and behind the wheel and happen to get pulled over can I get a DUI? Or If it speeds who gets the ticket?

16. Member
    Couldn't be much worse than some of the idiots driving the last couple of days.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T. Hill View Post
    Couldn't be much worse than some of the idiots driving the last couple of days.
    Beat me to it man. I was gonna say idiots driving all the time.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    How do you know where the lines are or a ditch is? You use vision. The car uses vision, radar, infrared, gps. Humans have a field of view of 120 degrees and can only see as far as the object in front of them is. The car can see 360 degrees all the time and they also use a form of radar to see in front of objects that are directly in front of them.

There's no secret formula to driving in adverse weather. The problem is that humans are limited in what we are able to monitor, how quickly we can react and what we can do in terms of controlling the car.
    -
    Exactly right..........and I’m not sure about other manufacturers, but I believe a Tesla will simply not engage its level of autopilot if it cannot sense/detect the necessary parameters.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlarcher View Post
    Self driving cars is all about control of the population.
    Well, when they can’t seem to control their urges to look at their phones while driving that may not be a bad thing. I ride motorcycles a lot so I have mixed feelings about self driving cars but I get run out of my lane at least once every couple weeks as it is so I am not sure it will be worse.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    So if I'm drunk and behind the wheel and happen to get pulled over can I get a DUI? Or If it speeds who gets the ticket?
    Not sure about the DUI. The car will not go over the posted speed limit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast