How to negotiate MAP pricing?

I am starting to look at new boats and have a few questions about MAP pricing:

1. Is it negotiable or is it "take it or leave it" price?
    2. If non-negotiable, can you negotiate on extended warranty and other accessories installed by dealer?
    3. Am I stuck with my local dealer or can you shop it with other dealers (can they quote less than MAP)?
    4. In shopping other dealers, do you have to be on site to get a price less than MAP or can it be negotiated by phone or e-mail.
    5. Any other insights or tips on dealing with MAP pricing would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure MAP pricing is take it or leave it.

I had a trade in, so it boiled down to who was going to give me top dollar for my trade in. I contacted dozens of dealers and gave them my spec sheet on the boat I wanted to buy and the info on my trade-in and let them go against each other. Did the same thing with my truck and wife's vehicle. I already knew exactly what truck and boat I wanted, I was out to get each of those at the lowest price period. I had a couple dealers try to get me to come in person, but others gave me their quotes via phone/email. I went back and forth between dealers (truck and boat) seeing if they could beat my best offer I had gotten so far and if they couldn't, I scratched them off my list until I got down to the dealer with the lowest OTD price with my trade.

If you don't have a trade in, it will probably come down to how far you want to go to purchase the boat and if you are going to use that dealership for service/maintenance. Also, which dealer will throw in the most extra's to your deal. I'm sure some others that work at dealerships will chime in shortly with more accurate MAP info...

Good luck with your purchase.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

3. Member
    I would think MAP is minimum advertised price. Things can be sold for less just not advertised for less.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    On factory equipment, I very much doubt you will beat MAP. Dealer-installed options or services are typically negotiable. As noted above, trade-ins also are negotiable, with the caveat that dealers seldom have the latitude to show a trade-in unrealistically high. The day may come when you can get your best boat deal without visiting the dealership, but from what we hear around the country, that day may still be in the future. And of course, reliable, quality service after the sale is golden. Good luck!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    i’ve gotten “rebates” from dealer and other incentives

They are using NAP nationally advertised price, map would fall in somewhere, honestly getting dealer services for either the break in LU change, or dealer installed accessories and labor is probably the best you can do

and don't get taken for trade...
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    I don't like the inability to negotiate!!

8. Member
    You can buy a boat better than MAP price. My experience has been you need to show in person though...a phone call maybe, email forget it.

9. Member
    You can do better than MAP. I just ordered a 520L and negotiated $5210 off of MAP. Also got $46,500 for my 2014 Z520c.
    I'm sure somebody could do better but I'm ok with the deal.

As I understand it, MAP pricing was supposed to eliminate buyers "shopping" among dealers. As you know, some guys would drive hours to save some money, rather than buy at a slightly higher price from their local dealer. That being said, there is negotiation room under MAP pricing, particularly if you have a trade-in. One dealer may give you way more than another for your trade as a way to lower the total cost to you on a new boat.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    I have two dealers within an hour of the house. I just need a way to keep them competitive and honest. I am not opposed to travel out of state if there is $2k plus savings as I can also work sales tax angles on motor and accessories which is some additional savings.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bait View Post
    You can do better than MAP. I just ordered a 520L and negotiated $5210 off of MAP. Also got $46,500 for my 2014 Z520c.
    I'm sure somebody could do better but I'm ok with the deal.
    What else were you charged besides MAP - freight and dealer prep?

13. Member
    The draw back to not buying local is dealing with warranty claims. Something to keep in mind.

14. Member
    All dealers are not supposed to sell any new boat below MAP pricing. If they do, they are breaking their contract and if caught, they will loose their license to sell the Ranger brand. You can by a new Ranger from any dealer that you like. Keep in mind that all dealers have their boats rigged differently from the factory, so keep that in mind when you are looking. Where a dealer can vary on price is your trade and any options you put on the boat at the dealership.

15. Member
    Funny a reliable source like a Ranger sales rep can't ever verify these topics...I guess they find amusement in reading us lowly consumers argue about it.

16. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Stroker Ace has put it in a nutshell, as several others already have done. Further, specific details of what dealers have done or might do to get around their contracts with Ranger aren’t appropriate for public discussion, at least in my opinion. Feel free to take such questions offline. Hate to be a Scrooge, but let’s avoid putting people on the spot.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio