Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

THOUGHTS ON GRASS GOAT OR NINJA BLADE

Was wondering on any ones else thoughts on which to be better of the 2 , my thoughts are I have Ultrex and but the Ninja blade on it and not to impressed so far , before the ultrex I had a Fortex and use to chop thru weeds with out any of the 2 and never had to clean the prop , after installing the Ninja I seem to get clogged up and wrapped up to where needs to be cleaned off and I thought maybe I installed wrong but checked it out and sure seems right so what's your thoughts of the Grass Goat .

2. Member
    Had the Ninja blade and it was a very worthwhile investmesnt. I’m not sold on the grass goat but if it works, that’s all that matters.

3. Member
    I have the Ninja blade and a 80lb Fortex and mine works good.

Ninja on Fortex works good for me

2009 ELITE 210

5. Member
    I use a ninja blade as well on a fortrex. I go through heavy pad fields and it seems to be about 50% better than not having one. I was thinking of adding another one personally.

6. Member
    Somewhat puzzling that you did better with a Fortrex and no blade than the Ultrex with the Ninja blade, especially seeing as you are sure of the correct install. The Ultrex and Fortrex have the same lower unit. Last year when I had problems with the Ultrex and had to switch between my old Fortrex and Ultrex a couple of times, I also removed and re-installed the Ninja each time. I always found the blade helpful on both motors.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I put a Grass Goat on my Ultrex last year. Its made pretty short work of every piece of vegetation that it's come across so far. I look behind the boat and the path and trail of choppings it's created is clear.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

8. Member
    I have had both currently have the Goat. The NGB did well it did fall off it was the epoxy one. It was offered to replace from NGB. I already ordered the Goat however.
    NGB
    smaller profile
    very easy install
    worked good

Goat
    bigger profile
    very solid install does need adjusting so prop don't make contact
    does cut bigger weeds better.

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

I have The Shank and think it works pretty well.

10. Member
    some what puzzling yes I cant figure, sure seems like Ninja should work and that's why I thought I'd ask .

11. Member
    I think someone may have mentioned this but you can actually
    Run two Ninja blades on opposing sides to improve it's performance
    Even more..

12. Member
    I should caveat that my original NGB with epoxy fell off but they replaced it free of charge. The 3m tape one has stayed out and the new owner is just as happy with it as I was. It was also recommended to me to run two as well because of how thick the vegetation gets where I fish. I just never got around to it.

I was also didn’t believe just how good that blade worked until it fell off. It made a huge difference in how often I had to pull the motor up and clear it off. When going through 2 feet of mat, the only time the motor would stop was if I had taken my foot off the pedal. Before the NGB, I’d have to clear the TM 5 times for a 100 foot run into this stuff so it did make a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by PASCOFISHBOY View Post
    I have had both currently have the Goat. The NGB did well it did fall off it was the epoxy one. It was offered to replace from NGB. I already ordered the Goat however.
    NGB
    smaller profile
    very easy install
    worked good

Goat
    bigger profile
    very solid install does need adjusting so prop don't make contact
    does cut bigger weeds better.
    I've used both (on different trolling motors), and this sums up my impressions very well. A couple things I'd add are that I believe you should probably really go with 2 Ninja blades if you want the best performance (as VictorM suggests), and that one additional con to the Goat is that you can cut yourself on the serrated blade if you're not careful. 100% my fault, but there were 2 different times I gashed my hand enough to bloodstain the cork on my rods when in a big hurry grabbing and throwing off the shredded shards of weeds when moving spots during tourneys. I can be a bit of a spaz at times, so take that for what it's worth. I think that cutting yourself on a Ninja would be very difficult if not altogether impossible.

I also had a bit more difficulty getting my Grass Goat dialed in than I thought I would have. I think my blade on my X5 might flex more than blades on other motors do, but that's just an inkling I have.

The main times I noticed the Goat being "better" than my (single) Ninja were in the "stringy" type weeds. The worst offender is an invasive we have up here (I'm sure it's elsewhere also) called Curlyleaf Pondweed. This stuff shoots up early then dies off by mid-June, but it's an absolute nightmare. Milfoil to a lesser extent can fall into this bucket.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattg589 View Post
    I have The Shank and think it works pretty well.
    I also have a shank and it seems to do a very good job on vegetation --very happy with it

15. Member
    is there a sponsor that carries the NGB?

16. Member
    The tackle trap, Tacklewarehouse and a few others. You can always purchase on NinjaGrassBlade.com also a sponsor. Thanks Joe

17. Member
    FYI...
    Minn-Kota will void the warranty if they believe you're using an NGB on one of their motors.
    There's a thread on here from a few months back that got people talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydbee View Post
    FYI...
    Minn-Kota will void the warranty if they believe you're using an NGB on one of their motors.
    There's a thread on here from a few months back that got people talking.
    The Ninja Grass Blade does NOT void any warranty as it does not modify the TM permanently. It may be true that the NGB has to be removed before they will work on it. Any weed cutter that needs holes drilled will void the warranty, due in part to altering the TM. Adding non-modifying items, i.e. transducers, sound making devices, weed cutters does not violate any warranty. The NGB can be reinstalled by purchasing 3m OUTDOOR tape (walmart, lowes or home depot).

I believe this is the thread in question - http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ja+grass+blade

Jaydbee - MK may not want the Ninja Grass Blade on their TM, but stating "Minn-Kota will void the warranty" may be overstating their position.

Is there a product out there to help keep weeds like milfoil from loading up on the front or shaft of the tm? I know the products mentioned above keep the prop free, but it would be nice to not have to lift the motor to clean it off all day at places like Guntersville.
    Last edited by crimsonpride40; 01-20-2018 at 09:40 PM.

20. Member
    I have a NGB on my Terrova and it works great.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast