Banned

Battery size difference?

So Ive gathered that the higher the number the larger size the battery. I'm buying the batteries at Sams, and the batteries fitting is not an issue.

Since I can fit either size 27 or 31.....is the size 31 worth the extra $15 and added size/weight youll be carrying on the boat? ideally trying to keep weight as low as possible since I have a smaller tin boat.

2. Banned
    can anyone clarify what size jumper wire I need to connect 2 batteries also? google isnt helping tonight

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Higher numbers don’t correspond to bigger size. It just happens many boat batteries follow that pattern, but not all. 34 is the smallest typically used marine battery.

Your jumper wire carries all the current in the circuit, so it should be at least as big as the wires used to connect the batteries. Bigger won’t hurt unless the wire gets hard to route.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Higher numbers don’t correspond to bigger size. It just happens many boat batteries follow that pattern, but not all. 34 is the smallest typically used marine battery.

Your jumper wire carries all the current in the circuit, so it should be at least as big as the wires used to connect the batteries. Bigger won’t hurt unless the wire gets hard to route.
    Sounds good. Anyone had any luck sourcing jumper wires locally.....thats not a boating/bass pro or anything like that? I think I can get one at cabelas but its 30 bucks....seems expensive.

What about the size difference....is it worth $15 to get the larger sized battery?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bockscar View Post
    can anyone clarify what size jumper wire I need to connect 2 batteries also? google isnt helping tonight

Same size as the rest of your TM wiring. On a good boat, 6 awg is the answer.

O'Reilly's carries all sorts of sizes of these. They are typically called "jumper cables" not to be confused with what you just to jump-start a car. I am using (I think) a 9" or 12" jumper. Just long enough to go between the two posts.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    Same size as the rest of your TM wiring. On a good boat, 6 awg is the answer.

O'Reilly's carries all sorts of sizes of these. They are typically called "jumper cables" not to be confused with what you just to jump-start a car. I am using (I think) a 9" or 12" jumper. Just long enough to go between the two posts.
    Thats about as good of news as I could hear! gonna go with the 6 if thats whats best. im up for jerry rigging and doing things as cheaply as possible...but not with electrical stuff! end up blowing up the damn boat! LMAO

Thanks guys!

7. Member
    First with regards to battery size. Compare the ratings between the two group 27 and 31. You should see the :reserve capacity" is higher on the group 31. It is larger and heavier because it contains more plates inside. Reserve capacity basically gives you a number to compare how long the battery will last while supplying a designated amps per hour. Think of this as having more gas in the tank. How much longer and farther can you go. Meaning a higher reserve will let you use your trolling motor for a longer time per day.

These batteries are nit cheap. Treat them well, always recharge them immediately upon returning home fro using them. An onboard charger is a great option. It gets wired permanently and all you do to recharge the batteries is plug in the charger. You must use a charger designed to charge deep cycle batteries and be sure of the type of battery. There are several types of deep cycle batteries. Some are conventional, meaning lead acid filled like your car battery. Others a gel cells ans the last group is my favorite and the are AGM or Advanced Glass Mat batteries. If you do not use an on-board charger than consider on of the smart chargers from Schumaker. Wall Mart sells these and they work well. I used to use 3 of them on a boat I rigged up to fish electric only lakes. They work well and are not too expensive.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumache...arger/13005745

Lastly be sure HOW to jump your batteries coorectly. Are you trying to have a big reserve of 12 volts or are you feeding a 24 volt trolling motor. One you go in series and the other gets wired in parallel.

8. Member
    Reserve capacity should be bigger between the 27 and 31 of the same manufacturer batteries but there are better batteries that will have higher RC in a lower Group size than another battery in a higher group size.
    Just pay attention to RC if this is a deep cycle and both RC and CCA/MCA on cranking battery.

As for the jumper cable.l, I made my own. Bought some 6awg and self soldering end and it was done in a few minutes. I bought everything at a marine supply store.