Thread: Heard " pop"

Banned

Question Heard " pop"

Was re wiring my stereo system under the console of my 2008 ZX200 and had cut all zip ties to spread out the bundle of wires from the large cable collector/rigging tube and at some point through my project I heard a "pop", which to me meant I had blown a fuse, checked all fuses in the block with ohm meter and all tested good, all lights on panel were lit, but, no courtesy lights, could here the switch "click" when pushed, no lights come on, is there some kind of inline fuse after tge fuse block that Im missing somewhere, or before, just sure sounded like a fuse "pop", to me, checked voltage at power supply and had 12.4 volts near the switch....

2. Member
    Are the courtesy lights factory or addon. If factory, fuse should be in the fuse box. If addon, there is probably an inline fuse (hopefully). If not, it may have burnt a wire.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Are you there are no resettable circuit breakers in the system somewhere? They pop when tripped.

4. Member
    Perhaps you have a bare (pair) wire somewhere and it shorted to another wire or terminal. Since you were cutting wire ties with dykes, you may have cut into a wire by mistake.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Perhaps you have a bare (pair) wire somewhere and it shorted to another wire or terminal. Since you were cutting wire ties with dykes, you may have cut into a wire by mistake.
    or cut the positive and negative of something at the same time -- still should have blown a fuse
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    or cut the positive and negative of something at the same time -- still should have blown a fuse
    Yes unless you have a tin boat you need to hit a pair. Glad all the systems appear to work at this time.
    The cause might show up later when you hit a system like bilge pump, lights or livewells on a timer.

7. Banned
    Probably just the tension of the tie wrap letting loose when cut.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Probably just the tension of the tie wrap letting loose when cut.
    One can hope, but that doesn't explain why is courtesy lights doesn't work any longer
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

My first thought would be you inadvertently shorted the courtesy lights. The "pop" was where it blew----- bare spot-connection etc. Make sure you have power to the switch first then trouble shoot from there.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post

Ha ha I just did that yesterday---wires got hot quick!. Ironically, I did it while installing an in-line fuse

11. Member
    Ohms might not check a fuse unless it's a blade fuse.