Gas Water Heater

Ok, so I had a heater that was very inconsistent and felt like ran out too quick for its size. It got us by. But it got to the point here it was lit and burner was burning, but the only water that would come out of the hot water side of faucets were just "not cold"...not even warm. I looked on the unit and it was from 1991. I didnt even debate fixing it vs getting a new one. Got a new one, I installed it...somewhat without any hitches. Now same thing, but just a tad warmer. Water is only warm throughout house. I have thermo set on what should be 130 degrees. Pilot is lit, blue flame burning. Its been almost two days so its not an issue where its just not all the way warmed up. No water leak...water meter is still when nothing is running.

Im clueless. Dont know what to do or check next.

Any ideas?

2. Member
    If I were guessing you need a pressure test to make sure it is getting enough gas.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

3. Member
    If you have single lever faucets one them can bypass. The cold water typical has slightly more pressure than hot. They can be difficult to find sometimes.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

4. Member
    Do you have good water pressure on the hot and cold side? If so, have you added any additional gas fueled appliances to your home? If not, and if you have other gas appliances, how are they doing as far as performance goes? Are you on propane with an on site tank or plumbed from the street with Natural gas? These questions need answered to aid me in trying to help out...

Experiment. Turn the dial almost all the way up and see what happens.
    Your old water heater probably had bad dip tubes. Depending on the water the dip tubes end up disintegrating over time. Especially after after 27 years. More than likely the cold water dip tube was so bad that it was no longer down to the bottom of the tank. The cold water pushed in and the "hot" water pushed right out to the fixtures.
    http://waterheatertimer.org/images/G...diagram-40.jpg
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

I'd say you have a gas pressure issue, unless you can verify that you don't by running a gas cook top, etc.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

7. Member
    Joho5 - what did you find?