Thread: Deck extension

Deck extension

I've wanted to share this before but just now got around to trying to upload on the new requirements for uploading pictures.
    I build a deck extension for my Ranger 354v. It is all aluminum frame with a 3/4 plywood top that was incapsulated with resin. There are no welds on this one and it is certainly a DIY project for anyone that has a rivet gun. I'll try to include enough pictures so you can see how it is constructed.
    In the pictures below I added tubing across the length of the span that also sit on aluminum pillars. The corners I cut pieces of angle and riveted and it is riveted to the backside. (Basically like a header in a door would be).
    The door came from Cabelas and the resin is regular fiberglass type from the hardware store.
    Most of the angle and tube was 1 1/4" and the sheet aluminum was 1/8". I purchased from a local metal supplier in town.
    I did this project two years ago when I got the boat. I did not have to secure it to the boat and it has not moved a bit. It is super sturdy due to the 3/4" wood encapsulated by resin and there is absolutely no flex when standing on it yet it is light enough I can open the door grab the entire extension and pull it out of the boat from standing outside of it. I wanted it removable (not sure why as I have only pulled it out once a year to rinse out the boat.

This is not to scale, it was the original start idea. River the corners and then start building up.
    Last edited by Netweid1; 01-17-2018 at 05:17 PM. Reason: add information

2. Member

3. Member

4. Member
    That looks great. Nice handiwork.

Excellent job!!!

6. Member
    Very nice.

7. Member

great job

2009 ELITE 210

9. Member
    great job will try on my ranger 350v project

Excellent job, it turned out great! That's the right way to do it so it's strong, lightweight and (mostly) rot-proof.

11. Member
    Good job