Questions on Yamaha outboards (again)

It's still a bit of a long shot to happen at this time, but doing my homework just in case everything falls in to place. Looking at a newer boat that has a 2006 Yamaha HPDI 250 on the back. Already started a post on the Yamaha boards, but for those that have had experience with them from here, I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback on these motors.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=871724

Thanks fellas.

2. Member
    When I was looking at boats 2 years ago there are a lot of those motors out there and they all same the same thing, new powerhead. I talked to my boat mechanic along with another one in my area and they both said the same thing, stay away. They are just to unpredictable.

Plus there is a guy in my club that just had his power head replaced and the new one last less than 100 hrs and had the injectors check also before it blew.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMS View Post
    When I was looking at boats 2 years ago there are a lot of those motors out there and they all same the same thing, new powerhead. I talked to my boat mechanic along with another one in my area and they both said the same thing, stay away. They are just to unpredictable.

Plus there is a guy in my club that just had his power head replaced and the new one last less than 100 hrs and had the injectors check also before it blew.
    I'm starting to see this specific issue come up repeatedly in the feedback I've received, and from what information I can find online. The boat/motor I'm looking at specifically says that the powerhead was replaced in 2015. One of the other guys that responded to my original post I have linked above said that he had someone run into the same issue you said, got a new powerhead and blew the next one too. There's apparently a different style powerhead of a newer gen that they can put in that wouldn't run into that same issue?

All in all, this is exactly the kind of information I need to arm myself with, so I can ask these very specific questions. I'll likely get on the phone with Yamaha if possible and see if they're wiling to provide any information for me. Hopefully they will but I know how that can go.

Do you, or does anyone else, know when these issues were resolved? Was it JUST the 2006 motors, or what is a couple of years of that specific generation? This info will help me to better narrow my search for my next boat.

Thank you very much for the help, it's greatly appreciated!!

You will probably get more feedback if you post this in the lounge.

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    I think the early ones had an additional problem also but from the research I did I saw it across all years of that motor. It did not seem to mater if the power head was an OEM replacement or aftermarket or how the motor was maintained. There are plenty of them out there have run just fine with no problems. Look at used boat dealers all over and see how many say new power head or has warranty.

For me there was enough doubt in the motor that it was not worth it. I am a huge Yamaha fan. I have abused plenty of there machines in the past but this was one I just couldn't do.

6. Moderator
    I have a 2004 Yamaha HPDI and the only problem with the powerhead was when i took on rough water on Champlain and blew my motor. Motor got submerged while riding waves in severe wind and rain. Had a new powerhead put on an not an issue since. I believe this was in 2012.

7. Member
    I had a 2007 225 HPDI on my Stratos 201 and it had 100 hrs. on it when I got it. I had all the mods done before I bought it and put over 200 hrs on it before I traded it in 2011. I never had a problem with it. I loved the outboard, but now having the SHO I love not carrying oil around :-)
    Scott Doughty
    2022 Skeeter ZX225 - 2022 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Salem, NH

8. Member
    I think if you do the recommended/required maintenance, treat it nice (right oil, right octane, right additives), let it warm up before dropping the hammer, etc. you should be OK. I've spoken to several people that popped their powerheads and they were all lacking in taking care of the outboard.
    thenhbassmaster@gmail.com
    2008 Ranger Z520 - Yamaha Vmax Series 2 250 - Minn Kota - Lowrance

9. Member
    603bass- To answer your question about hours, 1,500 is considered the life expectancy for a 2-stroke outboard.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMS View Post
    603bass- To answer your question about hours, 1,500 is considered the life expectancy for a 2-stroke outboard.
    Whoa...didn't realize it was that high. Does that kind of reset with a new powerhead?

11. Member
    It does to a certain point. The powerhead is the week point in the outboard package but the rest of the pieces will also get a lot of wear and tear.

You also have to remember that replacement powerheads will have anywhere from 1 or 2 year warranty's or a lifetime warranty. Warranty will only cover damage cause by something they did wrong but if another component failed and took out the powerhead you are out of luck with the warranty. It is not like a new motor that all components are covered.