Cold turn over - cranking issue. Seen several people with this issue

Figured I would share this with you guys

I have read several post about slow cranking and starting with our Opti's during the cold months.

I fish pretty much all winter long so boat gets run when air temp is in the teens or colder and water is in the lower 30's pretty often.

Last winter I went through all the general things to check. I had battery test and everything check out great. Went over post connections, checked wires, even added another and swapped batteries just to be sure, same result.

Fast forward to this winter, (motor was fine all summer long, cold mornings would notice it was a bit slower but never an issue starting) I went out Monday and went to fire it up and it was much slower than usual. It had been about 2 weeks with lots of temps in the teens and highs maybe in the mid 20's First thought was battery went bad. Took it out and had it tested and was above the specs that are required and tested out in perfect condition, got it all hooked back up and went over everything, wires, post etc.

I am super OCD about my boat, motor, batteries etc and keep them maintained and VERY VERY clean, damn near could eat off that motor. I decided to disconnect and reconnect all the main connections running to the starter. They looked great, had no corrosion, rust etc on them, basically looked like new.so I hooked them back up. The only thing I did notice was the short power cable that comes from solenoid to started seemed to be a bit looser then the others but that was about it.
    Turned key and cranked over like it was 60 degrees out not 20.

Obliviously long story but the short of it is, connections may look good, be tight etc. They are still worth redoing when it comes to electrical problems.

I replace all my connections that come in to the fuse panel and main power and negs a couple years a ago and that also made a HUGE difference in the way things ran, and functioned.

Stay warm and if anyone is having that type of issue, might be worth looking at.
    Brian Walters
    2012 ZX21
    2012 Yamaha 250 SHO
    25 T1 and 26 Tempest Plus
    Helix Mega G3N, Mega 360, Ultrex 112

2. Member
    Thanks for the heads up. I happen to notice you are running a rite hite plate. I personally don't have any experience with them,but several people have had issues.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=693919

3. Member
    Battery fact:
    A start battery will perform better (crank faster) when the ambient temperature is 68* versus 18*.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Battery fact:
    A start battery will perform better (crank faster) when the ambient temperature is 68* versus 18*.
    That's a COLD HARD fact..
    Last few mornings It's been in the single digits around here.. Had to jump the feed truck and a tractor.

5. Member
    Had no idea about the Rite Hite plates!! Will be looking into that for sure!! Thanks for the heads up
    Last edited by wabassguy1; 01-19-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    Brian Walters
    2012 ZX21
    2012 Yamaha 250 SHO

So if battery checks out, and you still get a slow start and possibly a low voltage alarm, it could be a function of the cold weather

Quote Originally Posted by josie201 View Post
    So if battery checks out, and you still get a slow start and possibly a low voltage alarm, it could be a function of the cold weather
    Yes-- but as the OP suggested good connections make a difference that you may not notice until its COLD...I had two different so called (1000 mca) batteries that failed to start my 3.2 ltr in COLD weather.. After I read the sticky about batteries that meet the requirement I found out mine did NOT meet the requirement as tested by Mercury !!!

8. Member
    Thought provoking question - In cold weather conditions would you want a battery that only meets minimum engine cranking requirements or one that well exceeds the requirements?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Battery fact:
    Absolutely!!!
    Brian Walters
    2012 ZX21
    2012 Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by josie201 View Post
    With air temp around 25 degrees my motor has always cranked slower. Just like my diesel truck. The draw from our Mercs is huge, just like a diesel engine, so when its cold and the battery is not putting out the same as when its warm we can notice it.

Any connection issue will be much more noticeable in cold weather than in warm weather. So you might see a low voltage alarm when cold but most likely its due to a weak connection some where if your battery is tested and is in good condition. As always make sure to have your batteries tested and that even in cold weather they are above what he min specs are needed for your motor.
    Brian Walters
    2012 ZX21
    2012 Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Member
    I would add that battery chemistry slows down as the temp drops, as does ANY chemical reaction. Which translates to fewer electrons produced per unit of time - less amps flowing. Oil in the motor thickens up, whether it is a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke. Cold cranking is just harder.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200