Thread: Daiwa Tatula

Daiwa Tatula

Any body know the difference between the SV TWS series and the CT Series? I'm looking for a couple of reels to put on my rods for skipping jigs. Heard they're a good reel for this, just wondered the difference between the two. Also what size Would you go with? Or any suggestions on shimano reels for skipping as I can get them at a great price just wasn't sure which one would work the best for me... thanks
    Last edited by Brady bass; 01-17-2018 at 12:54 PM.

CT is basically the 2nd gen of the Tatula, and is smaller/more compact than the original

The SV is built using geometry similar to the CT line, they are about the same size

For skipping you want an SV, they are harder to backlash (due to the SV spool technology) and make great skipping reels

Hope that helps.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    From fishing them the only real difference to me is the spool.. seem same size .. Both are awesome reels and do great casting
    E
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

I've got a couple regular (non CT) Tatula Type Rs and an SV TWS. To me, aside from the SV spool being a little harder to backlash, the Type R seems like a "better" reel. It's noticeably more smooth. I'm not sure if the reels have the same components aside from the spools, but my inclination is that they do not with the Type R having some higher quality components in the mix.

I've only got 1 of the SVs, so maybe the one I have just isn't quite up to snuff. I wouldn't call it a "dud" as it's still a fine reel, just not as fine as the Type Rs.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

That explains it then!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

6. Member
    GREAT LINK!

I posted to that one, hope the OP replies.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

Very informative

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I've got a couple regular (non CT) Tatula Type Rs and an SV TWS. To me, aside from the SV spool being a little harder to backlash, the Type R seems like a "better" reel. It's noticeably more smooth. I'm not sure if the reels have the same components aside from the spools, but my inclination is that they do not with the Type R having some higher quality components in the mix.

I've only got 1 of the SVs, so maybe the one I have just isn't quite up to snuff. I wouldn't call it a "dud" as it's still a fine reel, just not as fine as the Type Rs.
    Meant to ask you earlier Drew....

So the Magforce Z inductor cup extends and retracts in the Type R's, I'm aware of that. It also says it has an "Air Rotation System".

Then the new Tatula SV, also has the same drag system, same "Air Rotation System", but has the "Super Duralumin" spool, but instead of "Magforce Z" it's using "SV Concept" spool with a "special material" applied to the inductor. Although it acts exactly the same in use, and is exactly the same weight as the Type R, so I can't see where it's really going to be much (if any) different.

The Zillion SV TW however also has the same drag system, and uses the words "Air Brake System" rather than "Air Rotation System", mentions nothing about Magforce Z, or a "special material" applied to the inductor, although they do mention a "free floating spool" and it is .3 oz lighter. And of course they all use the TWS.

My question is just how much different IS IT?
    Seems like they are saying the same thing, and doing the same thing, just with a different material spool. (Size is a little different of course, but the inductor works the same on all three.)

I know the Zillion is advertised as pretty much a backlash impossible reel.

I only ask because if, IN PRACTICE it really is that hard to backlash (compared to the Type R), regardless of how far it casts then I think I need to get a couple for my wife. Or myself for that matter. I can cast most of my baitcasters without trouble, although changing from one to another I think is more of a problem than just having all of them the same. FWIW we have KVD Tour's (my least favorite), Pro Qualifier's, BPS Tournament Special, KastKing Royale (not a bad cheap reel at all, just noisy), and the Type R's.

Honestly, in the videos where the average cast difference was 8'~10' that literally means nothing when you're casting 120'+ out. If it means it doesn't backlash, and she doesn't have to spend an hour a day getting the tangles out, along with not getting frustrated to the point where she refuses to use a baitcaster..... then it's a bargain.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

Never used a Zillion, but for what it's worth I almost assuredly won't be buying any more SVs. I can just about make a Type R as "backlash proof" as I can my SV by clicking up the brakes a couple extra notches. I don't mean this as a slight on the SVs. I simply think the Type Rs are really good reels.

On that note, I know this "backlash proof" stuff is the message Daiwa wants to get out and you hear all the pros talking about it. I don't really get it though. How pissed is someone going to be when they buy this reel that's apparently impossible to backlash but then they go out and backlash it? Maybe pissed enough to stop buying Daiwa stuff in general.

I'm not saying that they backlash "easily" or anything like that, just that you absolutely can backlash them. Me hurriedly trying to skip a dock while all hyped up after missing a bite under it during a tournament is proof of that. Just my $0.02, and of course everyone else's mileage may vary. (And I'm an unapologetic Daiwa fanboy).
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

10. Member
    The sv stands for Stress Free Version. Pretty sure anyways. And it's a spool that has a ton of control in it so it's honestly hard to backlash, whether your trying to bomb a cast or skip a bait. But though it has alot of control doesn't mean you can't get distance out of it either.