Thread: Opti Oil Leak

Opti Oil Leak

I have a 2000 135 Opti with serial number OT104873. It seems to have developed a small oil leak somewhere. Towards the end of fall I noticed some small pooling of oil in the lower cowling. If the boat sits for a while the oil will work its way out of the cowling and down to the lower unit. Again, very small amounts. Any suggests on where to check and potential quick fixes. I am in Minnesota so no chance to run it right now.

Thanks!
    Joe

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Joe- what oil are you running? If you are running the recommended Optimax/DFI oil, simply get your hands on a UV Leak Detection Kit, and inspect. Optimax/DFI oil will "fluoresce" under UV Light and glasses.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

oil pump ?
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jolstadt View Post
    I have a 2000 135 Opti with serial number OT104873. It seems to have developed a small oil leak somewhere. Towards the end of fall I noticed some small pooling of oil in the lower cowling. If the boat sits for a while the oil will work its way out of the cowling and down to the lower unit. Again, very small amounts. Any suggests on where to check and potential quick fixes. I am in Minnesota so no chance to run it right now.

Thanks!
    Joe
    Definitely check the internal reservoir .... been there done that on my Opti

5. Member
    Those early Optis were known for oil pump leaks. Also check the hose from the oil tank to the pump and replace it with the clear braided one. If you cant find it...start the motor on the hose and take a look all around the motor.