Ultrex durability

I know this thing is the cats meow in open water BUT, how many of you guys bang it on stumps and does it continue to work as advertised? I am considering one but I fish both open water and shallow stump fields in wind and current. Banging hard on things happens in my world. I’ve bent a few Motorguide shafts in the past but both of my Fortrex TMs have survived.

Any inputs appreciated!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I've bumped a few things with mine and it still runs like it should. The shaft is lifetime warranted I believe !! It's definitely a game changer !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I know this thing is the cats meow in open water BUT, how many of you guys bang it on stumps and does it continue to work as advertised? I am considering one but I fish both open water and shallow stump fields in wind and current. Banging hard on things happens in my world. I’ve bent a few Motorguide shafts in the past but both of my Fortrex TMs have survived.

Any inputs appreciated!
    I'm an ASC and dealer located in Southwest Arkansas. Our lakes here have a 4 to 5' average depth and full of Cyprus and Bois de arc (Bodark), so it goes without saying the motors in this area take a beating on shallow water and stumps. Out of those that I've sold, those that have came on boats, those that have purchased elsewhere, I have replaced 4 shafts -- two of them for the same person. The early ones had a different steering module and that has been changed to make it easier on the shafts. Also, the shafts are heat treated "twice" to make for more hardness. The lower unit is the same as a Fortrex or any other MinnKota trolling motor. The steering cables have been reinforced as them breaking were an initial problem (corrected with the new design). It takes a lot for me to make a change in trolling motors as I fish the lakes I'm talking about and I have put a 112/45 on my boat -- if that matters. If you have any other questions, or decide to order, give me a call. I ship all across the United States.
    John
    870 773 3474
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the inputs. John, that is good to hear about gour experience both as a user and a repairman.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    So the Ultrex holds up pretty good then? Thinking about getting one myself. I fish both styles

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    I'm an ASC and dealer located in Southwest Arkansas. Our lakes here have a 4 to 5' average depth and full of Cyprus and Bois de arc (Bodark), so it goes without saying the motors in this area take a beating on shallow water and stumps. Out of those that I've sold, those that have came on boats, those that have purchased elsewhere, I have replaced 4 shafts -- two of them for the same person. The early ones had a different steering module and that has been changed to make it easier on the shafts. Also, the shafts are heat treated "twice" to make for more hardness. The lower unit is the same as a Fortrex or any other MinnKota trolling motor. The steering cables have been reinforced as them breaking were an initial problem (corrected with the new design). It takes a lot for me to make a change in trolling motors as I fish the lakes I'm talking about and I have put a 112/45 on my boat -- if that matters. If you have any other questions, or decide to order, give me a call. I ship all across the United States.
    John
    870 773 3474

John...when did the changes occur? My ultrex was installed last year around March....flawless so far!

7. Member
    Our lakes are small, shallow and full of rocks. Ultrex motors in this area holding up very well.

Great post John.

8. Member
    Mine holds up pretty good. I don't just go full bore to bash it up bit I've tagged a few stumps, run it to shallow, thru matter grass, etc. So far the shaft hasn't been an issue. I even bent the prop shaft once on a stump and had to replace the armature.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    John...when did the changes occur? My ultrex was installed last year around March....flawless so far!
    They started putting the new sensor board on in the Fall. It was either 1st of August or 1st of October -- my memory of dates leaves me. On the new sensor board, the manufacture date is on the outside where it can be read by looking under the footpedal. If issue was heat releated -- not electrical heat but ambient air temp heat. Didn't effect most, but effected enough that when found, the change was made.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    John
    870 773 3474
    When did they do the update on the cables? Just asking because mine broke on my first Ultrex. Hoping the new one doesn't suffer the same fate!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    When did they do the update on the cables? Just asking because mine broke on my first Ultrex. Hoping the new one doesn't suffer the same fate!
    This is a running change and started happening in the fall of 2017
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Member
    Dang it! Mine was replaced in late summer!!

13. Member
    I have used motorguide for the last 25 years; and have used the same TM repair guy for going in 20. He and I have always been pro motorguide. This had a lot to do with them being based right here in Tulsa too. Anyway last fall he advised me as a friend to make the switch to MK. He said they just basically had a higher quality product, and the ultrex was gonna be a game changer. So there is a new ultrex that should be getting bolted on in the next day or two at the Ranger plant.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

They started putting the new sensor board on in the Fall. It was either 1st of August or 1st of October -- my memory of dates leaves me. On the new sensor board, the manufacture date is on the outside where it can be read by looking under the footpedal. If issue was heat releated -- not electrical heat but ambient air temp heat. Didn't effect most, but effected enough that when found, the change was made.
    Thank you.

15. Member
    It was August 1st for the new sensor board. I waited for mine, and got it just after the 1st.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    It was August 1st for the new sensor board. I waited for mine, and got it just after the 1st.
    I wasn't talking about the sensor board issue, I was referring to the cable breaking issue. When was that figured out? I had an Ultrex that I sent back because the cable broke. Minnkota sent me a replacement but have no idea if it had the "upgraded cables"