Thread: chevy truck ?

chevy truck ?

which cab is shorter-- crew cab or double cab, and by how many inches. looking at 16 or 17 models on line. thanks

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Double cab is shorter. I don’t know by how much, but my guess (I have a crew cab) is 4-6 inches. Double cabs are more frequently and heavily discounted, because crew cabs are more comfortable if you actually intend to have rear seat passengers.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    The extended cab (2008) back when I bought mine had real back seats, if you had small children or pets, not real people for friends.

This naming convention has stuck for seemingly all the manufacturers. "Double cab" sure sounds like a double cab whereas the "crew cab" is the actual double cab.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Will measure when I get home. Have one of each lol
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

6. Member
    i have a reg cab long bed and been looking at a double cab with a long bed .its 24 inches longer

In my thinking a Crew Cab has a full size rear door and a seat suitable for a couple adults. The Extended Cab has a backward swinging rear door and a back seat suitable for adult double amputees.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Crew rear door 40”
    double cab door 30.5”
    the old ext cab trucks the rear doors opened backwards . Now they are all normal doors

9. Member
    Extended cab, "regular box", the CAB is shorter, but the box is longer.

Crew cab, "short box", the cab is longer, but the BOX is shorter.

The wheelbase AND overall length is identical.

Wheelbase is 143.5"
    Overall length is 230.03
    The double cab (extended cab) has .03" less ground clearance in 4WD, .25" less ground clearance in 2WD, and .1" less front shoulder room, but the same front hip room.

Chevrolet.com has a comparison page, took me about 30 seconds to find the above data.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

Can get short and standard in the crew. Only standard box in double cab

11. Member
    Thanks everyone, the door size is what I needed to understand.

12. Member
    Cranko, if you're not in a big hurry, and can wait till the Fall. The new 2019 Chevy is coming out then and it's NIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!

Inside is pretty much the same, but the rest of the truck is almost ALL new, front to back. Overall it's 1.6" longer, with 3.9" longer wheelbase. The back doors are longer for better rear seat legroom (up 2.9") in the crew cab. The body is completely new, and even though it's all steel, bigger, and has the most interior bed space in the market, with 7" more width than the current beds and even has power open/close tailgate, it weighs 450 pounds less than the current model. Some of that is via composites like the composite helper spring in the back. Factory dual exhaust coming out the bumper (aka RAM), and a stamped Chevrolet logo in the tailgate. That brings back fond memories for me, growing up with a number of Chevy/GMC trucks that had stamped tailgates.

They are also offering a factory model with a 2" lift!

Haven't heard the real news on all the different engines yet, but there will be a lot of news there. The Active Fuel Management I've read will actually be able to make the V8's run on as few as 1 cylinder. That seems a bit weird to me, sitting at a red light going thump, thump, thump. Of course it'll have the 10 speed trans that allows start-stop for fuel economy so the engine will shut on and off at will. (That bugs me in my wife's car.)

But one of the biggest news items is the new 3 Liter inline 6 'baby' Duramax diesel. No figures on it yet other than GM saying it'll be "class leading". For it to do that it'll have to have at least 250HP and 450TQ, and still get 30 mpg on the highway. That should be really easy to do. Personally, I'd rather see maybe a 4 Liter with at least 300HP and 500TQ. These V8 diesels have been in a horsepower war for a while now and it's nuts how much power they put out, yet still get 25 mpg or better. Dude that works with my son has a single rear wheel F350 crew cab long bed with the PowerStroke that's 400HP and he can get 27+ all day long.

But a inline 6 will always have better torque for the same size power plant. Heck, I drove CAT 3116's (6.6 Liter) for over 10 years that only had 215HP but were running 605 pounds of torque and those trucks never failed to pull the load, ANY load. Of course they only got 10 mpg idling all day, so there's that. LOL

Don't see GM putting a big 6 in their trucks like the CUMMINS because they've refined the Duramax. Besides, the CUMMINS is in the Dodge/RAM and that'd hurt their feelings for sure. LOL Got the 6.7 CUMMINS in my son's 08 2500 and his puts 500HP to the ground with a few mods and he still gets 17~23 easy enough (if he keeps his foot out of it).

Anywho, you might want to take a look at the 2019 Chevy. It's one nice ride for sure.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranko201 View Post
    Thanks everyone, the door size is what I needed to understand.
    no you can get a double cab long bed

Quote Originally Posted by clearlake outdoors View Post
    no you can get a double cab long bed
    2500. Not 1500

You can get the detachable cab also.....