Thread: Log Cabin Kits

Log Cabin Kits

Has anybody ever built a cabin using a kit? Just wondering the cost and ease of doing it. Would love to put one on a lake somewhere.

nobody

What size? most need a crane to move logs.

4. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    What my in-laws in TN did was purchase a small log home that was brought in like a modular home. Once it was set in place he went thru and did the finish work, electric and plumbing. Turned out really well.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

5. Member
    This is a 2100 sq ft kit I purchased from a company up here in Ontario for my lake front property. The first ten rows are 8x12 squared white pine logs. The second story is standard 2x4 construction with 2” thick log siding over top. With enough help you could put together yourself as long as you have a good understanding of construction. What I did was have them put up the shell and finished everything else. It is a lot of work even just to finish off the shell. I’m retired and with some help from time to time it took me a year to complete. The company I used was True North Log Home not saying to use them as I’m sure there are some manufacturers around you. If you go to their website though there are some explanations and videos of the construction process. There is another company in AL’s backyard in Bobcaygeon called Confederation Log homes that has info also. As far as cost this way was cheaper than conventional log home builders but still about 1 1/2 times more expensive than standard construction up here at least. Hope this helps anything else just ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

Practice practice practice
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

7. Member
    Helped build the main section of the house with a peeling spud and chainsaw from lodgepole pines from the property. Then Dad got smart and bought turned logs from the home builder down the road for the rear section of the house. Even had the corners cut out and the bottoms cupped so they fit together. Just had to cut off to the right length. Put down a piece of insulation, drive giant spikes and add another layer. Pretty easy, us cavemen were able to do it. The log home builders have kits that label every single log and everything is just following directions. Those kits get pricey but make nice homes.

8. Member
    Most log home companies will sell you a package of some fashion, just the logs, or logs and set or dried in or turn key operation, I chose the dried in option, Did all the interior work and roof

9. Banned
    Most of the area lot home builders will sell you a set of logs. They assemble the house as the logs are fabricated, mark them and then remove them for shipment. You would do better if you would allow them to reassemble the log portion and take over from there. It really takes a telehandler boom forklift to assemble lot houses.

There are log home companies all over Tennessee--East of Westmoreland, Kodak/Seviervi!le, Jasper and Athens. And they all make beautiful homes. You might want to visit some of them.

Contact Timberland on here. He can fix you up!

11. Member

Nothing like the the real deal. Looked into doing a kit home after retiring, wife wasn’t interested in helping. Instead hired a guy to go into his woods and come out with some logs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    92 492vs. 92 Suzuki 225 EFI

12. Member
    I worked for a log home builder. You can definitely DIY with the right equipment. If its a single story or a 2 story with 2x upper framing, you can generally get away with some very basic equipment. We built most of the single story by hand using scaffolds. Occasionally we would rent a boom truck. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

13. Member
    We got our log home Kit from Jim Barna Log homes, They are located in Tennessee. Great people to work with. You can buy do it yourself kits or they will build it for you.

14. Member
    Built my dream home in 2006. Cedar log home. We did a partial kit. Log walls, doors, windows, roof. We finished kitchens, bathrooms, flooring, and plumbing ourselves. I own a construction company so we did all the labor ourselves.
    As for the ease of it; just depends on how rustic you want it finished, we wanted ours finished more than just rustic so we spent extra time on that. As for pricing that depends heavily on the finish work. Typically it will run close to a higher end frame built house.
    We love ours a lot but make no mistake it takes a lot of upkeep to keep it looking good. As with most things you will get out of something as much as you put into it. Any questions feel free to PM me.

15. Banned
    It is almost like you need to construct the log portion and get the roof on it. Then come back in 6 months and finish the rest of the job after the logs dry out. They move a little with age.

I once worked for a guy that built huge log cabins outside Nashville, and he was an eccentric perfectionist. At the time, they were using cedar logs. There is also a market in the area for old, used logs, especially it of cedar.

We used to rent equipment to Barbara Mandrell's husband and son as they were building her 27,000 square foot log cabin. They built it themselves. I think the son remained a contractor.
    Last edited by Bamaman; 01-18-2018 at 08:19 AM.