Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pulling new Bass boat in 8 inches snow/ice

I never would pull my boat in that crap but I did have to Sunday afternoon. We had 12 boats plus two trailers full of boat show supplies that we had to get back to our shop. I pulled a Z520L back and it made me sick to see that rig covered in salt, snow and ice. I was a nervous wreck even though I have a 4X4 ice with snow on top isn’t fun to drive on . The guys at work spent the day yesterday with a pressure washer getting them all cleaned up again. What’s all your take on pulling on ice and snow?

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I cant imagine... get the detailers on it ..Quick lol

I had to tow mine home from the dealer when I bought it in a light rain. Road salt got into every crack and crevice. Made me sick and I spent a lot of time cleaning a brand new boat but to answer your question, I wouldn't do it unless I absolutely had to.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

4. Member
    I had to tow my boat in a snow/ice storm. The bow had a 3" layer. Sad sight

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I won't do that with my Z520c because I don't have any way to clean her up but I've done it more than a few times in my old ProCraft and once this past fall in the RT198p. When the big smallies are on there's no way were we packing it in because of a little snow. The ramps are more of an adventure in the snow than the roads. I wipe the boat down the best I can when I get home but for the most part it'll just stay dirty until the spring.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    My rule for fishing in the winter was 2 good days....one to fish and one to wash the boat. When you have to drop the boat to plow the ramp first winter fishing. Now I drive it to Florida leave the plow home...though I could have made some serious money this trip in the Carolinas

7. Member
    That is why my new boat will sit at my dealer until late March or mid April before I pick it up. No way I'm driving it home in salt & slush. Glad your guys got on it and cleaned it up when you got back...

M

8. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    I did three years ago; Pulled boat to BBC spring Rally on Grand Lake. Left home with 7" of snow on ground. Strapped cover down tight and made the trip. It sucked, but cleaned up fine. This was with my 14' 519C.........................I was a nervous wreck from driving when Becky and I arrived at the lake...............................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

9. Moderator
    As long as it's covered, I'd do it to catch fish. Definitely a good washing after though....

10. Member
    That's what the cover is for. Been thru that crap plenty of times over the years, driving from here to Rayburn, and back. Boat, motor, and trailer can be pressure washed. Inside stays nice and clean...

11. Member
    I can’t imagine having to tow in those conditions , I hate towing in the rain . .
    2018 Z520L , 250 pro xs, ultrex 112 , hds 16 carbon , hds 12 carbon both on bbt mounts. Dual power poles

12. Member
    Sherm drug one for me in bad conditions. He uses a Tow Tector. It doesn't stop everything, but it stops a whole bunch. A trip through the local car wash spray booth and it looked great.

Clean em up good and they will be fine. It's more about getting them back safe. I can recall more than one time a boat hasn't got back or forth to a show without damage. Everyone involved is sick.

13. Tony C
    Snow is not that bad, it's the salt that gets me. Never fails either heading south to Florida or coming back north to NY we always seem to find some. Getting it washed off as fast as possible is important. We get some looks from folks in traffic jams during a snow event!
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

14. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Even worse than rock salt is the brine they spray on our roads now. The stuff is greasy, and doesn’t come off with a spray cleaning. Usually takes two hand washings to thoroughly remove. Nasty stuff, and highly corrosive, too.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

15. BBC SPONSOR Pro's Choice Pete's Avatar
    I hate the thought of that, both cleaning the boat and the white knuckle driving. I am ready so for spring, thankfully we will start to get a taste of it starting tomorrow!
    Pro's Choice Marine's Facebook Page
    Pete's Ranger Channel
    Click on the banner to check out our website!

Left here one year to fish a tournament at Guntersville, 6" of snow and car wrecks all over the place thru Louisville. Made me nervous for sure, finally cleared up a little around Bowling Green

17. Member
    The road salt would be my biggest concern.

18. Member
    I'm not gonna do it. I delayed picking up my newly purchased 2014 Z520C due to weather conditions.

Dealer was more than happy to keep boat inside his showroom. Glad u made that decision.

19. Member
    Generally the only time I will tow with a cover on and then, only if it is a necessity. Pressure wash, or possibly hand wash absolutely required before you put it away.
    2023 Lund 2075 Pro V Bass XS
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 250 4S

20. Member
    Tow mine too and from Florida over the winter, I stop in Ohio and again in TN on my way down and take advantage of the commercial tuck washes. I also try and time the drive when I75 in Michigan and Ohio are dry and clear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast