BBC SPONSOR

2017 Mercury 4 stroke 150 oil leak

serial number 2B452784.

first off, my dealer is approximately an hour and half away, so If I can fix at home and its an easy fix I would rather go that route...

for some reason, my motor is leaking oil around the lower unit housing. Its not a real dark oil, its definitely engine oil. Almost like there is a tube that is off or something. Its definitely a noticeable leak because I have to keep a rag around the housing on the bottom where the lower unit meet the upper half. Its annoying to say the least. Anyone that can help would be greatly appreciated. I can make a dealer trip but its a PITA in the winter. thank you
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

Take a flashlight and check around your engine oil drain fitting and make sure it is not loose. If it is loose snug it up don't over tighten. If nothing there I would remove the engine cowling and with that flashlight check to see if any oil is present around the filter in the filter overflow pan around the dipstick check the fill cap is tight look down all around the engine with that cowling removed oil can drain all the way down .

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

Had a leaky oil filter seal do the same thing once.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Oil leaks aren't something to play around with. Find ANY Authorized (preferably Premier) Mercury Dealer, and get them to inspect it. You do not have to go to the selling dealer, ANY dealer should be able to address the problem for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Thanks for the info guys. I’ll send it to my local dealer
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to report back on what they find- the info may prove helpful to someone else later.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Its at the shop now, they cleaned up all the oil. No idea where it was coming from. All bolts tightened etc, the oil leak was on the engine area itself somewhere.
    Last edited by Bassman25; 02-05-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to update. No lube leakage from the gearcase?

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Be sure to update. No lube leakage from the gearcase?
    no sir none at all. glad everything is great except for the prop shaft etc. Dealer says they more than likely over filled the oil res when I bought it or I did possibly which is why the oil was draining around the lower cowling but not the gearcase at all.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

I bet someone didn't clean the drain pan out after changing the filter. The first time you trimmed up, it ran out of the pan.

(Edit) I meant the oil filter drip pan*** sorry
    Last edited by 21xTriton05; 02-06-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman25 View Post
    no sir none at all. glad everything is great except for the prop shaft etc. Dealer says they more than likely over filled the oil res when I bought it or I did possibly which is why the oil was draining around the lower cowling but not the gearcase at all.
    Overfilled the oil res (reservoir) is he talking about the oil filter drain pan like Triton05 suggests? If he is talking about the oil res tank those are only on 2/strokes?

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassbama View Post
    Overfilled the oil res (reservoir) is he talking about the oil filter drain pan like Triton05 suggests? If he is talking about the oil res tank those are only on 2/strokes?
    Hopefully the dealer knew the difference there... let's give them the benefit of the doubt on that.

More than likely referring to the Oil SUMP (as in spilling oil while attempting to add it to the engine), or over-filling the oil level in the engine (which WILL often cause leakage or venting of oil).

After almost 6 weeks without my boat, Mercury sent a new powerhead, as it was determined the oil pump went out and took out the powerhead. Picked up the boat yesterday, went out this morning ran about 4 miles down the river , stopped to start fishing and noticed an oil slick coming off the back of the boat. Fished for a bit then decided to run back to the ramp and as soon as i tried to put it on plane alarm went off. Shut the motor down, pulled off the cowling, and there was oil everywhere, checked the oil level and the stick was bone dry. The oil filter was on tight, the oil cap as well. Call progressive and got towed in. Called my dealer and expressed my frustration and I am bringing the boat back in tomorrow morning....

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianFLA View Post
    After almost 6 weeks without my boat, Mercury sent a new powerhead, as it was determined the oil pump went out and took out the powerhead. Picked up the boat yesterday, went out this morning ran about 4 miles down the river , stopped to start fishing and noticed an oil slick coming off the back of the boat. Fished for a bit then decided to run back to the ramp and as soon as i tried to put it on plane alarm went off. Shut the motor down, pulled off the cowling, and there was oil everywhere, checked the oil level and the stick was bone dry. The oil filter was on tight, the oil cap as well. Call progressive and got towed in. Called my dealer and expressed my frustration and I am bringing the boat back in tomorrow morning....
    Dang I hate this for you! Sure hope you keep us posted as I am beyond curious about this!

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Man, Tyson, that doesn't sound good. Get it back in ASAP (and double check the serial number as it doesn't match up).

Quote Originally Posted by BrianFLA View Post
    Brian that sucks I feel your pain had a 200 Opti that went thru 4 compressors same situation waiting weeks for parts and had to pay for the last one. I'm sure you know this but keep an eye on your oil level after the repair I would suggest getting a new powerhead no matter what they find but if they insist on fixing the just installed powerhead get them to agree for some kind of priority service over the next few months where you could have the compression checked and powerhead inspected in a 1-2 day turn around. It's like getting your motor and boat hit by a car while trailering the insurance company says they will pay for motor repair but transom looks ok but do you really feel comfortable with a 500lb motor hanging on that transom at 60-70 mph running back in a storm same may apply hear what internal damage was done when that engine ran low or even out of oil. Good luck when you get all this straitened out these motors are pretty reliable my 150 4/S is just about to hit the 7 year mark without incident.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

Got boat back today, I was told it was an O-ring that was not installed correctly when they installed the new power head.The Mechanic has assured me there was no damage to the new powerhead, Mercury also added an additional 2 yr platinum coverage, so i am covered for 5 yrs now. Taking the boat out in the morning and hoping no issues this time.

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Got the boat back again lol, replaced the o ring cleaned the engine compartment. Took it out this morning and it's running great!

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar