Thread: New Electronics

New Electronics

I have finally saved enough money to upgrade electronics on my Skeeter. I'm doing both console and front. I have $1k for each. I need some advice on what to look for. Best bang for my buck.

2. Banned
    LOWRANCE HDS-7 GEN3 BOAT IN A BOX, 2 DISPLAYS - $1999.00

Each bundle will include 2 HDS GEN3 head units Plus the accessories listed below-
    SpotlightScan Trolling Motor Transducer
    TotalScan Skimmer Mid/High/StructureScan Transducer
    Point-1 GPS Antenna with Heading Sensor
    NMEA 2000 Starter Kit
    N2K-T-RD
    Ethernet Cable

3. Member
    I have two 1199's for sale that would be much below 1k each.
    Last edited by ryancompetition; 01-16-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Garmin is your best choice in that price range. Buy 2 93SV’s and your set. Pick up a PS21 or PS22 down the road.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    What is brand and models are there now? Might think if you change brands means installing new ducers, etc. Where as same brand just newer models I got be able to reuse cables and ducers......but again it all depends....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by NE14BASS View Post
    I have finally saved enough money to upgrade electronics on my Skeeter. I'm doing both console and front. I have $1k for each. I need some advice on what to look for. Best bang for my buck.
    Start by looking in the Electronics for sale section. You can get great deals. I bought 2 HDS 9 Gen 3's a few months ago for $1700 total shipped that were basically brand new.

7. Member
    Depending on what you're looking for in electronics. If you just want to share waypoints, then you can go to an Elite TI series and many times get a bigger screen then if purchase a Gen 3 or Carbon. Same for Humminbird. A Helix is less expensive then the Onyx or Solix, but doesn't have whistles and bells like touch screen. If you're having trouble navigating through the maze of functions/transducers, give me a call. I can help you and quote you also.
    John
    870 773 3474
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

I'm in the same boat as you, I am looking hard at the Hook 2 line.

9. Member
    I just bought two Garmin echomap 73 sv plus units. So far I like them. I only said like as all I've done is mess with them in the house, haven't installed them yet.
    What helped bring me to Garmin was -
    1. Quickdraw. All you need is microsd card, 32gb or smaller.
    2. The units come preloaded with maps of 17000 lakes, 13000 of which have 1' contours.
    3. If you need a better map card, you buy one for the whole country. That's it.
    4. Customer service - when you call you get a human, that you can understand!
    5. The MFD's come out of the brackets fairly quick. All wires stay plugged into the bracket. I bought two extra brackets and power cords, so I can use both together, either at the bow or the console.
    In the next software update, with the use of an Ethernet cable, the units will be able to share waypoints, sonar, etc. Ex You'll be able to have left si on one unit, right si on the other.
    All in all, I feel it's the best bang for the buck.
    They also come with mounting brackets for both transom and trolling motor.

10. Banned
    you can use 64 gig cards with most garmin units. you simply need to format them as FAT32

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....hlight=sd+card

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    I just bought two Garmin echomap 73 sv plus units. So far I like them. I only said like as all I've done is mess with them in the house, haven't installed them yet.
    What helped bring me to Garmin was -
    1. Quickdraw. All you need is microsd card, 32gb or smaller.
    2. The units come preloaded with maps of 17000 lakes, 13000 of which have 1' contours.
    3. If you need a better map card, you buy one for the whole country. That's it.
    4. Customer service - when you call you get a human, that you can understand!
    5. The MFD's come out of the brackets fairly quick. All wires stay plugged into the bracket. I bought two extra brackets and power cords, so I can use both together, either at the bow or the console.
    In the next software update, with the use of an Ethernet cable, the units will be able to share waypoints, sonar, etc. Ex You'll be able to have left si on one unit, right si on the other.
    All in all, I feel it's the best bang for the buck.
    They also come with mounting brackets for both transom and trolling motor.
    Perfect choice and for all the right reasons. I like the bigger Screens if the 93SV because I’m getting older. Add Panoptics and life is good.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

12. Member
    If you fish any unmapped lakes like I do you'd enjoy the autochart live feature of a Humminbird. Get yourself a Helix 9 mega for your console and a 9 chirp for your bow. That would run you $2,100 at full retail. Down the road you could add a 360 transducer. You'd be set.

13. Banned
    They all offer self mapping. Just different in what’s required and what is cost to do it

14. Member
    I am intrested to see what the new Lowrance Hook 2 series is all about. A 7 with the tripleshot transducer which gives u down, side, and 2D as well as mapping for $600 is a good deal i feel like. BPS has it on sale for $400 right now.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

15. Member
    HB

The Hummingbird Helix units are very nice units for the money. If you can afford a little extra, get the Helix 10 SI Gn2 for the console, and the 10 DI for the bow. If you want to connect them with ethernet to share waypoints between units, you'll need the ethernet switch box too. If you can cough up a bit more, get the Mega unit for the console. If you go with the 9's, the screen resolution is not as good and the standard sidescan ducer is the compact version, which is not as good as the HD version....you can upgrade for a minimal charge though. You could do 7's as well, but again, upgrade the SI transducer.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80