serial number-0t512962

2002 225 optimax 225 serial number-0T512962
    Will compressor part number-828123A18 work correctly on this engine. Reason I ask I had another compressor fail second one and I refuse to buy another new one at 900$ so I am looking to buy one used from a BBC member. Before anyone asks yes I had all of the air injectors checked last time around replaced all lines and filters don stated too replace had the oiling procedure completed by a certified mercury repair center before running the boat.
    Thank you.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No... that number is not a suitable part number for the compressor on your engine.

WHEN did you purchase a new compressor last? What failed in the current (new) compressor?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    No... that number is not a suitable part number for the compressor on your engine.

WHEN did you purchase a new compressor last? What failed in the current (new) compressor?
    I cant remember the day exactly but it was April of last year I replaced all the stuff you suggested had the air injectors tested and also replaced two of those. Put about 100 hours on the compressor had another failure. Checked the compressor screen and all no issues. I haven't pulled it apart yet but it just pumps air out of the top I'm getting no pressure into the rails.

Mercury parts come with a 1yr warranty but there are some stipulations. I don't know for sure but probably bought and installed through a certified shop.

Also, did you complete the TSB from last year about checking/replacing the compressor reed plate?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    pull the head off of comp and inspect reed plate, 4 bolts,make sure none broken or standing off
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Mercury parts come with a 1yr warranty but there are some stipulations. I don't know for sure but probably bought and installed through a certified shop.

Also, did you complete the TSB from last year about checking/replacing the compressor reed plate?
    Was not purchased through a shop but was installed by one. TSB was not done and I was not aware that one was out. Already called mercury and its a no go on the warranty.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    pull the head off of comp and inspect reed plate, 4 bolts,make sure none broken or standing off
    I will check this tonight thank you.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soloman View Post
    I cant remember the day exactly but it was April of last year I replaced all the stuff you suggested had the air injectors tested and also replaced two of those. Put about 100 hours on the compressor had another failure. Checked the compressor screen and all no issues. I haven't pulled it apart yet but it just pumps air out of the top I'm getting no pressure into the rails.
    FIND YOUR RECEIPT FOR THE COMPRESSOR.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    FIND YOUR RECEIPT FOR THE COMPRESSOR.
    I had a local mercury repair center look at it no luck getting the compressor warrantied because they said the belt breaking caused the failure of the compressor I purchased another one and had it installed "ouch" well the boat ran great Saturday then Sunday when pulling into the marina nothing engine died no alarms nothing funny showed up on the smartcraft gauge popped the cowling off and what do you know another broken belt. This one being brand new had about 3 hours on it from the previous day I'm dropping the boat back off to them today on my lunch break will keep this updated. On a side note does anyone know of any good promaxes for sale lol.

10. Member
    And would anyone be able to give me a belt measurement width and length for these engines I work in the automotive industry and would like to cross it over to a different part number just to keep a spare in the boat in the event this happens again. I know most will say just buy a mercury one well I don't want to keep a 50$ belt in the back compartment of my boat to rot as a spare "vegas summers cook everything" . I am sure it crosses over to something else that can be had at cost through my shop for under 15$.

11. Member
    Your right...buy the Mercury belt its is made to run at HIGH RPM's.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    +1

And keep in mind, decisions on Warranty Coverage (even under the Parts & Accessories Warranty) are made by Mercury Marine (NOT by a "dealer or mechanic").

Belt causing a compressor failure... I'd have to see that one personally. Maybe belt "debris" in a compressor...

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Just want something to hobble in on I don't want to keep a 50$ belt in the boat to dry rot when I am sure I can find something less than half that cost to have as a just in case.

14. Member
    +1

And keep in mind, decisions on Warranty Coverage (even under the Parts & Accessories Warranty) are made by Mercury Marine (NOT by a "dealer or mechanic").

Belt causing a compressor failure... I'd have to see that one personally. Maybe belt "debris" in a compressor...
    Probably the case the belt broke up into pretty much dust under the cowling. I will ask more questions about that when I go pick the boat up today. When it happened it took out the plastic cover with the filter and everything.
    Last edited by soloman; 01-30-2018 at 03:41 PM.

15. Member
    Just want something to hobble in on I don't want to keep a 50$ belt in the boat to dry rot when I am sure I can find something less than half that cost to have as a just in case.
    It won't dry rot. I still have a spare from my old 1999 225 HP and its not cracking........It's built to last.

Most of us here just use a belt that was changed for maintenance purposes, and keep it for a emergency belt. See if your dealer has an old belt (free) from a customers motor for you to use as a spare.

16. Member
    Probably the case the belt broke up into pretty much dust under the cowling. I will ask more questions about that when I go pick the boat up today. When it happened it took out the plastic cover with the filter and everything.
    The tensioner will need to be inspected with a experienced eye.