Thread: Yamaha SHO's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    That's the part that worries me. Surely they have powerheads available for warranty work
    I'm sure they have some available BUT now do they start denying more warranty claims? This situation has a potential to get VERY ugly for the consumers now

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    I'm sure they have some available BUT now do they start denying more warranty claims? This situation has a potential to get VERY ugly for the consumers now
    No it don’t everybody needs to calm down good lord.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linesider 159 View Post
    We purchase a couple hundred thousand in Yamaha parts every year for stock, it's easy to do that because the margins are much bigger and there are common parts we know people need.

Stocking every Yamaha motor, or a lot of the popular ones, is not cost effective. Think about what you said, say I stock 15 shos, that's about 225-245k in motors at cost (rough), now say we make 3k off each motor not including the labor and the space to store them. I just tied up 240k to make 45k before labor and storage costs.

That's just the beginning, what hp sho should I stock, should I only stock shos? If I stock a Yamaha 250 or 300, should it be digital or manual controls, 20, 25, or 30 inch shaft? Boat builders stock motors because they are the ones building boats to put the motors on and know what they need.

Sea hunt has a warehouse of motors, and so do several quantity builders.

Explain to me how a dealer stays afloat tying up hundreds of thousands of dollars to make a small percentage, only to hope they stocked the right motor when there are 9 different Yamaha 250's (not including the sho).

You own a business, ROI is what keeps doors open
    actually you’re completely wrong in the business area ROI doesn’t keep the doors open NOP keeps the doors open return on investment means you made a sound decision and can move something and make a return on that item, net operating profit is what a business puts in the bank once taxes, salaries, rent or mortgage etc.... are taken out but I will agree with the majority of everything else you stated.
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcountry35 View Post
    actually you’re completely wrong in the business area ROI doesn’t keep the doors open NOP keeps the doors open return on investment means you made a sound decision and can move something and make a return on that item, net operating profit is what a business puts in the bank once taxes, salaries, rent or mortgage etc.... are taken out but I will agree with the majority of everything else you stated.
    Yes, that's big picture. I'm referring specifically to stocking items and the return on investment for stocking them. I majored in economics but its been a few years
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I think a SHO and a V8 F350 are different engines. I read where he posted they shut down V8 production but not SHO production.
    If the new motor is a V6 that could mean a change/impact to the SHO's. They could be modifying the 4.2 for the new engine.

6. Member
    I am a Yamaha tech and was at Yamaha in GA last wk so let me give alittle insight to what all was said about this. First about the new plant that was built. It was not built to build motors but to build props. Yamaha has over 2 million dollars of props on back order because demand has gone up so much and so fast. All Yamaha motors are built and will continue to be built in Japan. Yamaha has to place their order, based on what they think the market will be, 2 yrs in advance and they missed the extreme raise in demand. It'll take some time to catch up and yes theirs prob gonna be some people mad because of the shortage but unfortunately there's not much that can be done because the plant in Japan can only build them so fast. Some boat companies, Skeeter and G3, won't have problems getting one cause their owned by Yamaha and rightfully so their gonna hang motors there first. I know Yamaha is sry about this but unfortunately no one can plan for everything and in this case they missed the number on how many was needed. I'm not biased just cause I'm a Yamaha tech but they are and continue to be the best motor, hands down. This is a perfect example of how fast their company is growing. Hope this helps, sry if your having trouble getting a motor cause trust me Yamaha wants to sell you the best!

7. Banned
    They make a good motor (SHO) now but the first 2 years they made a POS. Just about everone of them was replaced, sometimes multiple times and even offered to replace the ones that didn't blow up. If anything, they trying to catch up because of that and not because of higher demand.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    They make a good motor (SHO) now but the first 2 years they made a POS. Just about everone of them was replaced, sometimes multiple times and even offered to replace the ones that didn't blow up. If anything, they trying to catch up because of that and not because of higher demand.
    You serious right now?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    You serious right now?
    He has a vendetta against them for some reason. Not the first time I have seen him speak very low of them.
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS

10. Member
    They're trying to catch up 8 years later? Seriously?

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davepjr71 View Post
    They're trying to catch up 8 years later? Seriously?
    At least do some research before posting. Btw, my 2012 blew in late 14 with 230hrs. It now has 448hr and runs great.

12. Member
    At least do some research before posting. Btw, my 2012 blew in late 14 with 230hrs. It now has 448hr and runs great.
    I did a $hit ton of research before putting a SHO on the back of my boat. They had issues 2010 through 2012 with some after. Even if they replaced a few in 2014 we are now in 2018. That would not set the motor back like it is. The SHO is a very small part of their market and the issues are not only with the 4.2 but the I-4. Yamaha predicts how many outboards they will need for the year. For 2018 they were way off due to high demand and things like the Hurricanes. Boat Manufacturers that put only Yamaha on have warehouses full of them. The guys that do different outboards were left high and dry if they didn't stock up before the year and the dealerships are left out in the cold.

13. Member
    The reason they have such a backorder situation on props is they consolidated their prop production to the Turbo plant in Indiana. No more made in Japan. As far as warehouses full of engines, people on the Skeeter page are waiting on engines to come in to get their boats, and Skeeter is owned by Yamaha. Yamaha's narrative is it's all demand related, reality is it's supply related with shutdown/changeover issues at their big engine plant in Japan.

14. Member
    There is no issues there is such a huge demand for them they can’t keep up Mercury guy must be seeing the light

15. Member
    Heard the big yamahas are looking at a delivery date of 2019. Mercury verados are about 14 weeks backordered right now as a result.
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

16. Member
    Hmmm....I have a 2017 SHO with 35 hrs and 5 years of warranty left on it. Sounds like a sellers market, may have to be posting in the “motors” classified section soon.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Limitfish View Post
    Hmmm....I have a 2017 SHO with 35 hrs and 5 years of warranty left on it. Sounds like a sellers market, may have to be posting in the “motors” classified section soon.
    One of the merc guys will be glad to have one

I have 18 250 SHO's in stock. I ordered 6 back in Jan. and got them 10 days later. Its all about who has allocation.

19. Member
    Boatwarehouse,

Curious how many you have left in stock, and pice for new 250 SHO?

20. Member
    Any BPS boat brand good luck your on the very bottom of there list you may never get one.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast