250 verado 2 vs 1 battery

Was at boat show this weekend looks by at boats and the one I liked was a Lund with a 250 verado. The boat was set up for 2 starting batteries with an isolater between them. One was wired directly to the motor and the other seemed to wired to the power steering pump. Dealer said they have recently been wiring 2 group 24 AMG batteries vs One large one. Is there an advantage with 2 vs 1? Seems like a lot of weight and complexity

2. Member
    the main advantage is if powering power steering off one, u won’t use up your energy in the other to start the engine

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This is not recommended (just to clarify). It "can" be done- but as they're doing, it MUST be isolated.

IMHO... it's overkill. I've never seen any problem with the power steering pump being on the cranking battery.

Now pumps, graphs and livewells.... that's another story. And a Verado will NOT perform properly with a weak or discharged battery.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    This is done when using a kicker motor steered with a link to the Verado. It keeps one battery fully charged while the other is used to power the power steering to turn the kicker motor. I think there is a kit from Mercury to enable the power steering. The second battery is isolated.

Whos rigging boats like this???? Never heard this before with 2 group 24s and seems a bit weak. As a troller that uses kicker steering a lot, I can say I would not want to rely on a group 24 for a day on the water. The power steering uses a lot of power and you need the biggest battery available. i did change from a 9.9 kicker to a 15 that has a 12 amp charge vs 6amp on the 9.9, This has eliminated any worry of loosing charge during the day. The 15 is a great motor and surprisingly trolls slower than the 9.9

6. Member
    when I received 2075 pro v bass and saw this xtra battery box under driver side flip up seat had no idea what it was for removed it and switch moved power sterring pump over a little and stuck 31 agm in with pump and forgot about it haven't needed xtra battery

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I definitely prefer to use ONE 31 series battery (as compared to the above described multi-battery montage.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor