2005 pt 175 batteries, fishfinders, charger upgrade

Last year I upgraded from a 15 ft aluminum to a tracker 2005 pt 175. I have enjoyed it so far, but want to make some upgrades. I have learned much from this forum and was hoping for some instruction.

I am planning to replace both current fishfinders with a helix 10 si at the consol and a helix 7 di at the bow. I currently have a merc 70 and 9.9 on the rig that will be replaced with a 20hp merc. 99% of lakes that I fish are hp restricted. So 70 hp has hardly been used and 9.9 is about as fast as the trolling motor.

Phase 1- is 3 new batteries and installing the new fishfinders and 20 hp motor. Motor will be done by local shop and trading in the 70 and 9.9. What I want to do on my own is install two 27 size batteries in parallel for the trolling motor and one 29 battery for the two fishfinders and cranking motor.

The rig has a two bank on board charger that works well. Can I run one bank to the two batteries in parallel for the tm? Then run the other bank to the cranking/fishfinders battery? Will this sufficiently charge all 3 batteries? The trolling motor is 12v. How do I properly wire the charger to the two batteries in parallel?

Should I run the power to the fishfinders directly to the starting battery with fuse, or wire another way?

Will two 27s and a 29 fit in the battery bilge area of a 2005 pt 175?

Am I asking for depleted batteries running ths setup? Usually go out for 6-8 hrs. Mostly use the tm for most of my fishing but rarely use the livewell or pumps.

What else should I consider?

Phase 2 will be a new charger and 24v tm. Will be a while to save up for that. Figure I could just rewire the tm batteries in series when getting the 24tm.

I know many questions and long winded.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Member
    The two channel charger can do what you speak but it is not ideal. Best way is to open the jumpers when charging and have a separate channel from the charger for each.

I am am pretty sure all theee batteries will fit. I know that three 27s will fit. Check out the stickies in the tin boat section. There is one showing photos of battery compartments that you will want to check out. In fact I would duplicate this post in the tin section.

To hook batteries in parallel you will need two 6 gauge jumpers. Hook them red to red and black to black.

3. Member
    Thanks. How did I copy this post in tin boats? New to this. Thanks for your time.

So best to have 3 bank charger and connect to all three batteries?

With two bank on oard that I have, do I connect positive and negative to same tm battery, or negative of one battery and positive of other tm battery? Does it matter?

4. Member
    Just start a new thread in the other section and copy and paste what you have typed above.

A 3 bank is the way to go. But if you have them in parallel you will have to open your jumpers to isolate them. You may hold off until you get the 24v motor to go to a three bank charger so you do not have to fool with that.

With a 2 bank charger with the parallel setup for the tm leave one bank hooked to your starting battery and the other hooked to one of the two batteries in parallel. The jumper wires will take care of the second battery. Just understand that is harder on the charger and if one of the batteries is weaker it may cause you to overcharge the good one.

5. Banned
    save up the extra 200-300 for mega imaging on your helix 10, or whatever youre gonna have at the console.

Wish I could answer your questions and help since I have an 04 pt175....but im still a total noob. I think you can save a $100 or so right now since youll only need 1 deep cycle battery for the current/12v trolling motor. Not sure what batteries youre gonna buy or if youve started researching that....but in my research (im on a tight budget right now btw) it seems like the sams club duracell batteries are pretty good. Supposedly theyre made at the same place as higher end batteries (iirc from what ive read on various forums)

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basskaiser View Post
    Phase 1- is 3 new batteries and installing the new fishfinders and 20 hp motor. Motor will be done by local shop and trading in the 70 and 9.9. What I want to do on my own is install two 27 size batteries in parallel for the trolling motor and one 29 battery for the two fishfinders and cranking motor.

The rig has a two bank on board charger that works well. Can I run one bank to the two batteries in parallel for the tm? Then run the other bank to the cranking/fishfinders battery? Will this sufficiently charge all 3 batteries? The trolling motor is 12v. How do I properly wire the charger to the two batteries in parallel?
    I would purchase a battery selector switch and put it between the batteries for the trolling motor. This way you can run on battery 1, then battery 2, then both if still needed. This way, one battery isn't drawing off the other battery. Also, to charge, you use the two bank charger with one side connected to the cranking and the other connected one of the trolling batteres, then select "both" when charging and the switch automatically places the batteries in parallel to charge.

Should I run the power to the fishfinders directly to the starting battery with fuse, or wire another way?
    Run to the battery with proper fuse

Will two 27s and a 29 fit in the battery bilge area of a 2005 pt 175?
    I've done on installs before. You can get a "double" tray for the 27's that help to save space.

Am I asking for depleted batteries running ths setup? Usually go out for 6-8 hrs. Mostly use the tm for most of my fishing but rarely use the livewell or pumps.
    You should be good

What else should I consider?

Phase 2 will be a new charger and 24v tm. Will be a while to save up for that. Figure I could just rewire the tm batteries in series when getting the 24tm.
    Won't necessarily need a new charger, just re configure the battery selector switch mentioned above and still be able to charge two banks as well as giving you a "jump" switch in case you need to jump the cranking battery with a trolling motor battery.

I know many questions and long winded.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    I've answered questions above after your question. Let me know if I can help and when you decide to purchase the items, give me a call. I can ship to your door.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    Didn't even think about a switch. That is a great idea!

8. Member
    Wow. Thanks for all the info. I will still try to post in the tin boats section as suggested. Looks like I have some work to do.